The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kimoni
Different people have different sexual appetites, men, women, gay, lesbian or straight, role plays, bestiality, and all sorts of ridiculous and yucky things, you name it, someone's probably into it.

Thing is, whatever your sexual taste is, there is always an element of self discipline. People who can't control their desires become sexual offenders and rapists, these people have not learnt or are not trying hard enough to suppress their libido and as a result have done something truly selfish and dispicable.
The same applies for paedophiles. People who have developed tastes for children cannot suppress their desires and as a result are endangering society's children. I don't really think it's an illness, don't give them too much slack.

But you are assuming paedophiles don't try to control their urges, that they act upon them whenever they appear. Fair enough, there are some who do, but there are also others that manage to supress them through whatever means. If these people were to come forward and say I am a paedophile but I don't act on my urges, would they be commended, probably not, they would be met by hostility.
wiwarin_mir
But you are assuming paedophiles don't try to control their urges, that they act upon them whenever they appear. Fair enough, there are some who do, but there are also others that manage to supress them through whatever means. If these people were to come forward and say I am a paedophile but I don't act on my urges, would they be commended, probably not, they would be met by hostility.

Witch-hunted maybe :tongue: .

I think the problem you pose exists only because when people think 'paedophile' they think, a convicted sexual offender of children, rather than the meaning of the word which would be 'likes children'. In the hypothetical case, commendation would be the moral thing to do.
Reply 22
Do Chickens Fly
Witch-hunted maybe :tongue: .

I think the problem you pose exists only because when people think 'paedophile' they think, a convicted sexual offender of children, rather than the meaning of the word which would be 'likes children'. In the hypothetical case, commendation would be the moral thing to do.

well, with the exception of haemophilia, it usually means you are sexually attracted to.
wiwarin_mir
well, with the exception of haemophilia, it usually means you are sexually attracted to.

indeed - that fits with what i said. Was trying to highlight the difference between the tendency and the crime, as u pointed to earlier.
Reply 24
wiwarin_mir
Since it may be said that paedophilia is caused by some kind of mental illness, should we be treating them as harshly as we are?

I think that it is hard to put all paedophiles into a secure mental istitution because it is expensive and if it is a mental illness it is likely to be an incurable one. I don't agree with castration of anyone for this crime. I also don't fell that the death penalty is right for paedophiles which some of my friends think. I agree that paedophiles should be kept away from the general population maybe in a different wing of the prison for their own safety.
Reply 25
randdom
I think that it is hard to put all paedophiles into a secure mental istitution because it is expensive and if it is a mental illness it is likely to be an incurable one. I don't agree with castration of anyone for this crime. I also don't fell that the death penalty is right for paedophiles which some of my friends think. I agree that paedophiles should be kept away from the general population maybe in a different wing of the prison for their own safety.

One problem with keeping paedophiles together is they may strike up friendships and the such, which may not be advisable.
Reply 26
wiwarin_mir
One problem with keeping paedophiles together is they may strike up friendships and the such, which may not be advisable.

I do feel that they should be under constant analysis from doctors and should only be released if it is felt that they are no longer a risk to children. I know that putting them together is not the best idea but it has to be looked at what is practical. It is safer to keep them away from the prison population and so generally that promblem has to be sidelined. I mean unfortunately people with eating disorders are put together and this can be devistating sometimes things have to be sacrficed.
Reply 27
randdom
I do feel that they should be under constant analysis from doctors and should only be released if it is felt that they are no longer a risk to children. I know that putting them together is not the best idea but it has to be looked at what is practical. It is safer to keep them away from the prison population and so generally that promblem has to be sidelined. I mean unfortunately people with eating disorders are put together and this can be devistating sometimes things have to be sacrficed.

True.

One very controversial way which the urges of some peadophiles are controlled is with the use of lolicon hentai (lolicon shows prepubesient girls with varying degrees of sexual acts).
Reply 28
wiwarin_mir
True.

One very controversial way which the urges of some peadophiles are controlled is with the use of lolicon hentai (lolicon shows prepubesient girls with varying degrees of sexual acts).

:confused: I don't get what you mean? How does it help?
Reply 29
randdom
:confused: I don't get what you mean? How does it help?

Since it has animated young girls in sexual situations, through whatever means, they may satisfy their urges that way, instead of going after girls in real life.
Reply 30
wiwarin_mir
Since it has animated young girls in sexual situations, through whatever means, they may satisfy their urges that way, instead of going after girls in real life.

Oh right I get you. The other thing was reading stories about it. I have heard that trials are being done to see it that satisfys there urges
Reply 31
randdom
Oh right I get you. The other thing was reading stories about it. I have heard that trials are being done to see it that satisfys there urges

I think that if you combine the two, having a lolicon doujin, you have something which has a story line, but also the pictures as well. This would be able to stasify them, although it is not widely accepted in this country, nor most countries outside of the orient.

In japan, there is a very low rate of sexual abuse on children, which, although the possibility exist that very few incidents are reported, also could show that the existance of such material helps.
Reply 32
randdom
and should only be released if it is felt that they are no longer a risk to children.

And how do you propose assessing that risk? Mind reading?
Reply 33
timeofyourlife
And how do you propose assessing that risk? Mind reading?

I think that they can be analysed by professionals. It can be determined to an extent if they are a danger.
Reply 34
randdom
I think that they can be analysed by professionals. It can be determined to an extent if they are a danger.

In an ideal world, maybe..

Until then we are dealing with a somewhat large element of risk.
Reply 35
timeofyourlife
In an ideal world, maybe..

Until then we are dealing with a somewhat large element of risk.

Which why I am saying only in that case should they be released. Guarenteed that this is very rare.
Reply 36
wiwarin_mir
If that is the case, why do we not treat them in the same way we treat others with metal illness, giving them help rather locking them up.

So what effective treatment plans do you know for paedophilia? Besides, strictly speaking paedophilia is not a mental illness, but it is regarded as a "disorder of sexual preference", to quote the World Health Organization's formulation.
Reply 37
randdom
Which why I am saying only in that case should they be released. Guarenteed that this is very rare.

Well of course it's impractical to keep everyone who has ever displayed aspects of paedophilia to be locked up, but I don't believe there is any current form of rehabilitation. What we can certainly do though, is to mimimise risk by keeping them away from children and closely monitored. Something certain police chiefs will soon be losing their job over.
Reply 38
wiwarin_mir
...should we be treating them as harshly as we are?

Yes
Reply 39
HamaL
Yes

Any particular reason, or did you just feel liking boosting your post count?

Latest