Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

paedophilia watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Someone pointed out (perhaps it was a few people) that chemical castration could be an option. But surely paedophillia is a "disorder of sexual preference" of the mind, not of the genitalia. I can see little compelling argument for castration, on the count of the fact that, and correct me if i am wrong here anyone who studies biology or even just knows, that whilst the genitalia produce "sex hormones", other hormones realted to enjoyment and happiness are produced by the brain. So if a paedophile we to enjoy, for reasons other than sexual excitement, the idea of a young child and various sex acts, would those that support castration also support psychosurgery to "cure their ills", as it were.
    I don't know about the precise details. But if you castrate som1, they lose their sex drive. Presumably it is this drive that causes certain paedophiles to commit sexual offences. Once you get rid of that, I don't see why they'd be driven to commit such offences.

It's not very ethical (obviously), but surely the individual could be given the option of castration + monitoring/ imprisonment or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    yes. i agree that if you castrate someone they lose their sex drive. I simply argue that some paedophiles will commit such acts for reasons other than sexual reasons, such as if they feel they are helping the child to mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    I don't know about the precise details. But if you castrate som1, they lose their sex drive. Presumably it is this drive that causes certain paedophiles to commit sexual offences. Once you get rid of that, I don't see why they'd be driven to commit such offences.

It's not very ethical (obviously), but surely the individual could be given the option of castration + monitoring/ imprisonment or something like that.
    I understand where you are comming from but I disagree, firstly because there are lots of problems associated with castration physically and to prevent them testosterone injections would be needed which would keep the sex drive going. Also it is sometimes found that people with sexual problems comit sexual crimes due to inadaquacy. The paedophile will still have that fundemental attraction to children because that is controlled by the brain. So maybe that would make them more likely to interfer with children to compensate for the inadaquacy. In this case castration will not save children and will have an adverse physical effect.

ReputationRep:
    yes. i agree that if you castrate someone they lose their sex drive. I simply argue that some paedophiles will commit such acts for reasons other than sexual reasons, such as if they feel they are helping the child to mature.
    superiority, abuse of power, psychologically re-visiting their youth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I understand where you are comming from but I disagree, firstly because there are lots of problems associated with castration physically and to prevent them testosterone injections would be needed which would keep the sex drive going. Also it is sometimes found that people with sexual problems comit sexual crimes due to inadaquacy. The paedophile will still have that fundemental attraction to children because that is controlled by the brain. So maybe that would make them more likely to interfer with children to compensate for the inadaquacy. In this case castration will not save children and will have an adverse physical effect.
    which is what i was trying to say, yet slightly less eloquantly than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Longterm politics can be an important factor in elections because people worry not only about their present, but they also want to secure their future.
    I disagree, especially where prison is concerned. For most politicians, the financial cost of such an initiative is too great and the political return is too small.

Most people care little about what happens to criminals once they are locked away. While taking sexual predators off the streets is an obsession of many of the public, few people care about the criminals' need for psychiatric therapy.

This would merely highlight how much the government is prepared to spend on prisoners, ignoring the NHS and education systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    superiority, abuse of power, psychologically re-visiting their youth...
    Beleiving they are actually educating the child is also a possibilty. Why is it so hard to accept that some paedophiles may believe they are preparing children somehow, rather than mindlessly abusing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Beleiving they are actually educating the child is also a possibilty. Why is it so hard to accept that some paedophiles may believe they are preparing children somehow, rather than mindlessly abusing them.
    this may be the case, but i think its widely accepted that what they are doing is still wrong surely ? And IMHO, whatever their reasons, genuine or otherwise as the case may be, they should be punished according to the gravity of their crimes, not according to what they thought they were doing. If this were the case, and we were to punish according to thought over action, the argument extends that if the abuser thinks (s)he was helping the child, then we would reach the ludicrous situation where we reward the abuser (theoretically at least, obv not in practise)

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so hard to accept that some paedophiles may believe they are preparing children somehow, rather than mindlessly abusing them.
    It's not hard to believe, but the child must come first; any abuse must result in punishment whether it was 'intentional' or not.

ReputationRep:
    this may be the case, but i think its widely accepted that what they are doing is still wrong surely ? And IMHO, whatever their reasons, genuine or otherwise as the case may be, they should be punished according to the gravity of their crimes, not according to what they thought they were doing. If this were the case, and we were to punish according to thought over action, the argument extends that if the abuser thinks (s)he was helping the child, then we would reach the ludicrous situation where we reward the abuser (theoretically at least, obv not in practise)
    I am not saying we should commend the abuser, just help them. Would you count an abuser as a paedophile if they are mentally immature, like an adult that has some kind of mental disability.

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying we should commend the abuser, just help them. Would you count an abuser as a paedophile if they are mentally immature, like an adult that has some kind of mental disability.
    This is a very important point. As a great number of abusers were themselves abused, you have to ask what impact their childhood trauma had on their intellectual and emotional developement.

ReputationRep:
    They should be shot, in my eye being a peadophile is the worst crime you can commit.
    Murder can be justified being a peado cannot.

Give the people what they want and bring back hanging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    They should be shot, in my eye being a peadophile is the worst crime you can commit.

And what about rapists, surely they do exactly the same, just to older people, but they are not held in the same severity why?

ReputationRep:

Why is it worse? I mean not all paedophiles even act on their impulses. Those that do don't kill the children ( I am talking about the ones that aren't murders) so how is that worse than taking a life.

ReputationRep:
    yes...

and never mind helping the abuser - we have yet to develop a 'treatment' which would be worthwhile in society's eyes. If there was ever a good excuse to bring back the death penalty it would be for child killers.

ReputationRep:

Once again I must stress the difference between commiting a crime and being sexualy atracted to a child but never doing anything about it. Its not a crime to be peadophile, the crime is to take advantage of a child.

Furthermore according to your claim it is worse for a person to take sexual advantage of a child than it would be to shoot a bullet through the kids chest. Excuse me if I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    And what about rapists, surely they do exactly the same, just to older people, but they are not held in the same severity why?
    The same i class Rape and being a peadophile as the worst crimes a human can commit and under no circumstances can they be justified.

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard to believe, but the child must come first; any abuse must result in punishment whether it was 'intentional' or not.
    Ding ding ding. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

ReputationRep:
    innocence, vulnerability, dependence, trusting, emotionally immature, psychologically developing, abuse can have a much greater impact...

ReputationRep:
    yes...

and never mind helping the abuser - we have yet to develop a 'treatment' which would be worthwhile in society's eyes. If there was ever a good excuse to bring back the death penalty it would be for child killers.
    Oh my god. Please differ between someone paedophile and someone sexually abusing a child and someone murdering a child. There are ppaedophile people out there who never do anything wrong. Many of them eaven go to get professional help. You cant punish someone for feeling tempted to comit a crime if they never do so. What about all people here who say they want paedophiles to get killed? Should they get executed for murder? Hardly. There is a difference between having a motive and being guilty as charged.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.