Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    couls someone explain how the gradient of the graph of delta g against t is equal to delta s ?? i dont get why delta h disappears from the equation ?
    thanks !!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HG1)
    couls someone explain how the gradient of the graph of delta g against t is equal to delta s ?? i dont get why delta h disappears from the equation ?
    thanks !!

There is the equation. A linear graph is usually of the form y = mx + c (where the c represents the y intercept (where x = 0), m is the gradient, x is the thing on the x axis and y the y axis).

The thing above looks slightly different - it is y = c + mx where m = - delta s. The c (delta h) is not part of the gradient term so it disappears - the gradient of a straight line is just the thing that is next to the 'x'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)

There is the equation. A linear graph is usually of the form y = mx + c (where the c represents the y intercept (where x = 0), m is the gradient, x is the thing on the x axis and y the y axis).

The thing above looks slightly different - it is y = c + mx where m = - delta s. The c (delta h) is not part of the gradient term so it disappears - the gradient of a straight line is just the thing that is next to the 'x'.
    Thanks for the reply its helping , could you show the gibbs equation is written out in terms of y=mc+c ??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HG1)
    Thanks for the reply its helping , could you show the gibbs equation is written out in terms of y=mc+c ??
    I did so in my post just to repeat - if a line is given by the equation y = mx + c, then m is the gradient.

The equation is of the form y = mx + c, where y = delta G, c = delta H, x = T and m = delta S. If you want it to look exactly like y = mx+c then you just rearrange it so that delta G = -delta S * T + delta H.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.