HG1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
couls someone explain how the gradient of the graph of delta g against t is equal to delta s ?? i dont get why delta h disappears from the equation ?
thanks !!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HG1)
couls someone explain how the gradient of the graph of delta g against t is equal to delta s ?? i dont get why delta h disappears from the equation ?
thanks !!

There is the equation. A linear graph is usually of the form y = mx + c (where the c represents the y intercept (where x = 0), m is the gradient, x is the thing on the x axis and y the y axis).

The thing above looks slightly different - it is y = c + mx where m = - delta s. The c (delta h) is not part of the gradient term so it disappears - the gradient of a straight line is just the thing that is next to the 'x'.
HG1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by SeanFM)

There is the equation. A linear graph is usually of the form y = mx + c (where the c represents the y intercept (where x = 0), m is the gradient, x is the thing on the x axis and y the y axis).

The thing above looks slightly different - it is y = c + mx where m = - delta s. The c (delta h) is not part of the gradient term so it disappears - the gradient of a straight line is just the thing that is next to the 'x'.
Thanks for the reply its helping , could you show the gibbs equation is written out in terms of y=mc+c ??
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HG1)
Thanks for the reply its helping , could you show the gibbs equation is written out in terms of y=mc+c ??
I did so in my post just to repeat - if a line is given by the equation y = mx + c, then m is the gradient.

The equation is of the form y = mx + c, where y = delta G, c = delta H, x = T and m = delta S. If you want it to look exactly like y = mx+c then you just rearrange it so that delta G = -delta S * T + delta H.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed