Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this question on the January 2010 Section A paper. (Q15).

The answer is B.

For this I used F=EQ, with E being V/d I put d as d/2 giving me E=2V/d and I subbed this into F=EQ to give me F=2VQ/2.

Is the answer B because the field is uniform so the force acting on the charge Q is the same at all points? So E stays as V/d?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes exactly! Since it's a uniform field, the force won't change depending on the distance, so all you do is Q*V/d, which gives VQ/d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Yes exactly! Since it's a uniform field, the force won't change depending on the distance, so all you do is Q*V/d, which gives VQ/d
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me with this question...
    June 2011-Section B Q2ai

For the first part I used ΔF=kΔL but wrongly substituted 30N/m for k I think. I done 30*60mm which gave me a magnitude of the resultant force on it of 1.8N. This is half of the answer they want and I do not understand what the mark scheme is telling me to do.
    It says the resultant force is equal to- (F+ΔF)-(F-ΔF) which gives 2ΔF. I don't understand this.
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.