The Student Room Group

Bosses can ban headscarves and crucifixes, EU judge says

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
You can practice your religion without pesky garments. Can't you? This really is religious freedom though, because other religions are free to be offended at your religion. So now no one can really over-represent their religion. And I think that's fine, you can still practice. They're not making it legal to burn these things, just proposing making it illegal to wear. Big deal.

it's not even like they are making it illegal

Its a simple conversation 'this is our dress policy if you want a job here you will comply if you don't want to then fine we are not going to force you to work here as there is a queue of people outside who will comply with our dress code'.

NEXT
Original post by BaconandSauce
it's not even like they are making it illegal

Its a simple conversation 'this is our dress policy if you want a job here you will comply if you don't want to then fine we are not going to force you to work here as there is a queue of people outside who will comply with our dress code'.

NEXT

Yea I know, I agree. This one isn't even [insert here]phobia because apparently no religion will be accepted to brandish their beliefs. It's a fair whipround in my opinion... It's not like they say you can't practice and it's just....omfg :nah:
Original post by CorpusLuteum
"While an employee cannot ‘leave’ his sex, skin colour, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability ‘at the door’, he may be expected to moderate the exercise of religion in the workplace"Juliane KokottYEAH GUYS DONT PRACTISE YOUR RELIGION ONCE YOU LEAVE THE DOOR STEP OF YOUR HOME BECAUSE THAT'S VERY REASONABLE.

It's not even saying that (despite the shouting)

all it is saying is 'you may be expected to moderate the exercise of religion in the workplace'

No one forces you to work for a company so you can CHOOSE not to work for them if you don't like the dress code.

all it is saying is 'you may be expected to moderate the exercise of religion in the workplace'

No one forces you to work for a company so you can CHOOSE not to work for them if you don't like the dress code.

Who the **** said that, with the CAPS? I mean you very well can still practice your religion. Silliness, honestly. As a Christian I know for sure I can still practice my religion and apply my beliefs to everyday issues and read my Bible and pray over my food and attend whatever church I want...just that I can't wear a chain with a cross on it. I don't feel at all traumatised about this. People are so ****ing irrational, this is why I believe in gov't intervention and strict regulation like this. Because people don't think a lot, honestly.
Original post by z33
Isn't this about religious gear :s-smilie: either way it would deter the customers wouldn't it? so it affects the performance of the company if their employers are in speedos and flipflops...

But the point he's making is that it's either acceptable for a company to set its own dress code, or it isn't. If you believe it is acceptable, then there is no reason that religious items should get an exemption.

Do you agree that business should be able to insist its employees wear trousers, shirt and tie? Or that they should insist that an employee cannot have tattoo sleeves? Because if you do, then I can't really see a reason for religious items to have some special status.
Reply 45
You can be a good Christian or a Muslim without a crucifix or a headscarf; wearing these objects are not required in the Bible or the Quran and they are not necessary for the practice of the faith.
(edited 7 years ago)

considering the shortage of jobs in england I think we might be onto something here.
Reply 47
Original post by DiddyDec
If it doesn't effect your work then why does it matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That example would affect your work though...
I'm super anti-religion but I don't know how I feel about this. The headscarf or crucifix isn't stopping a person from doing their job, so why ban it? Then again, I'm sure if God really exists, he doesn't judge your conviction by how often you wear a religious symbol. As someone's boss, I don't need to know that you're religious.
Have to disagree I see it more as showing neutrality in the work place.

But the 'if it doesn't directly affect your performance then you should be able to wear it.' without sounding rude is a very childish attitude when applied to the work place where conformity is expected usually driven by the perceptions of a few (and we do conform as we desire to be paid so while being a natural Jeans and t-shirts person I wear a suit everyday to work as it is expected of me and whist I could stick to my principles and not wear a suit there are others who will.

So while I have bills pay, a car to run, a house to pay for and a life to live the jeans are on the floor for when needed and the Suit is tidy and my shirt is pressed.

I actually was on about employers will hopefully have a common sense approach the items like crucifixes & therefore let people wear them as long as it's safe & doesn't undermine performance to do so rather than casual clothing.
The organisation I work for has strict rules but it does usually let people wear religious items as long as they don't interfere.
what job will accept someone with a veil?
Original post by Tempest II
I actually was on about employers will hopefully have a common sense approach the items like crucifixes & therefore let people wear them as long as it's safe & doesn't undermine performance to do so rather than casual clothing.
The organisation I work for has strict rules but it does usually let people wear religious items as long as they don't interfere.

Common sense does not apply in the corporate world

in my work environment work attire is decided by a few at the top and when I finally create my own company I will decide the work attire I want to see in my business as it represents me (and it will be Suits all the way despite me preferring Jeans and a t-Shirt)

But as I said this is about neutrality and displaying religious and political statements at work for some is a simple NO NO
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
And religious clothing and icons doesn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It shouldn't when worn out of sight, remember that the rules don't stipulat no visible icons, but no icons at all; a crucifix worn under your uniform still breaches the rules even though it should offend nobody (not that it should in the first place anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What have Christians done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending