Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-Biased facts and figures about EU Referendum? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

So, I've recently been in a lot of conversations about whether we stay or go. I have trouble in arguing/making up my mind however and people always ask how!

"How can you not have an opinion?!?!?"

Well put simply, I don't enough about it to make an informed decision.

Does anyone know of any good sources or non-biased information to help me make up my mind?!

Also, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on this?

:wavey:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The BBC tends to be not too bad, they are legally bound to impartiality. Things like fact check are good, although they do have a slightly remain bias IMO.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC is running an unbiased fact checker. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-po...endum-35603388 Its pretty good, for sorting the lies from the misrepresentations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The BBC tends to be not too bad, they are legally bound to impartiality. Things like fact check are good, although they do have a slightly remain bias IMO.
    Thank you! I shall go and have a nosey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V ugvg jhi)
    The BBC is running an unbiased fact checker. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-po...endum-35603388 Its pretty good, for sorting the lies from the misrepresentations
    That's fantastic! Thank you :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Biggest issues with 'facts' in this debate is that they are either based on questionable sources or there are debates on accuracy and most facts don't really help you decide.

Some examples of this issue:
    -The fact is we contribute net but how much is questionable with the average being about £22 million a day (about) but is that worth it? does access to the market outweigh this? Is it even spent well?
    - Fact is we have net immigration but once again actual figures vary and then pros and cons of this are very opinionated.
    - Fact is many jobs are linked to EU exports. However, the amount varies and what would happen to those jobs? Do they stay the same? Do all 3 million go?

The list could go on but the point is it highlights the issue with this entire debate and the quest for facts. The debate is much more ideological and opinionated than many would like but its almost impossible for it not to be.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I've found this website quite helpful https://fullfact.org/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.