10.00%
    Tony Blair
    20.00%
    Gordon Brown
    6.67%
    David Cameron
    13.33%

ReputationRep:
    There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
    Edward Heath
    Harold Wilson
    James Callaghan
    Margaret Thatcher
    John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron

Cast your vote today!

I shall return to this poll after A2 :lol:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    only done up to 1979 :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Major was good

ReputationRep:
    I would be genuinely amazed if Callaghan got a single vote.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why anyone would vote for Thatcher, but it is hilarious that currently she has an infinitely greater popularity than Cameron with 0 votes.

ReputationRep:
    John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who the hell said brown...

Only one labour vote so far is interesting.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    More Brown than Blair currently.

Must be Iraq dragging him down.

ReputationRep:
    Wilson, best PM since Attlee imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.
    *Cough* Black Wednesday *cough*

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
    scottish referendum
    Eu referendum

That can't be beaten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.
    Black Wednesday paved the way for that shift of policy and subsequent revival, so was arguably a good thing. It was only 1 year into his premiership as well. He definitely left the country in a better financial position than when he entered downing street.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
    scottish referendum
    Eu referendum

That can't be beaten
    It's the first I've heard of judging a Prime Minister solely by the extent of what direct democratic mediums they've brought in. If you take one glance at the recent budgets it's fair to say a few referenda can be rebuked.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I voted for Wilson.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for EDWARD HEATH.

a) He took us into the EU
    b) He realised the Miners were the key before Thatcher (he won the POPULAR election on this by VOTES except Scottish votes at that time counted double so Harold Wilson won the ACTUAL election (but got less votes))
    c) First time we could have an Prime Minister who might be gay.
    d) He just seemed a nice chap.

ReputationRep:
    We've had a pretty good run since Callaghan really. Gordon Brown is the only stand-out failure there, but his heart was probably in the right place: he's was just shockingly bad at actual politics.

I picked Blair, despite being a Tory, because I'm controversial like that. Innit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by meenu89)

I would argue that's more down to thatcher than major, she's the one that brought us into the ERM on bad terms, major merely oversaw the problems it caused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Blair. By a distance too.

ReputationRep:
    The white heat of technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
    Edward Heath
    Harold Wilson
    James Callaghan
    Margaret Thatcher
    John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron

Cast your vote today!
    Thatcher was a great Prime Minister but unfortunately I would have to pick Blair

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.