19.7%
Gordon Brown (4)
6.06%
David Cameron (8)
12.12%
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
Edward Heath
Harold Wilson
James Callaghan
Margaret Thatcher
John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
David Cameron

Cast your vote today!
username2230787
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I shall return to this poll after A2 :lol:
Spoiler:
Show
only done up to 1979 :emo:
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Major was good
BenC1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I would be genuinely amazed if Callaghan got a single vote.
Kocytean
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't know why anyone would vote for Thatcher, but it is hilarious that currently she has an infinitely greater popularity than Cameron with 0 votes.
tengentoppa
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Who the hell said brown...

Only one labour vote so far is interesting.
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
More Brown than Blair currently.

Must be Iraq dragging him down.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Wilson, best PM since Attlee imo
meenu89
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.
*Cough* Black Wednesday *cough*

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
scottish referendum
Eu referendum

That can't be beaten
tengentoppa
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.
Black Wednesday paved the way for that shift of policy and subsequent revival, so was arguably a good thing. It was only 1 year into his premiership as well. He definitely left the country in a better financial position than when he entered downing street.
MatthewAteYou
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
scottish referendum
Eu referendum

That can't be beaten
It's the first I've heard of judging a Prime Minister solely by the extent of what direct democratic mediums they've brought in. If you take one glance at the recent budgets it's fair to say a few referenda can be rebuked.
RayApparently
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I voted for Wilson.
FredOrJohn
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I voted for EDWARD HEATH.

a) He took us into the EU
b) He realised the Miners were the key before Thatcher (he won the POPULAR election on this by VOTES except Scottish votes at that time counted double so Harold Wilson won the ACTUAL election (but got less votes))
c) First time we could have an Prime Minister who might be gay.
d) He just seemed a nice chap.
L i b
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
We've had a pretty good run since Callaghan really. Gordon Brown is the only stand-out failure there, but his heart was probably in the right place: he's was just shockingly bad at actual politics.

I picked Blair, despite being a Tory, because I'm controversial like that. Innit.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)

I would argue that's more down to thatcher than major, she's the one that brought us into the ERM on bad terms, major merely oversaw the problems it caused

Posted from TSR Mobile
username878267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Blair. By a distance too.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The white heat of technology.
Chidzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by adam9317)
There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
Edward Heath
Harold Wilson
James Callaghan
Margaret Thatcher
John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
David Cameron

Cast your vote today!
Thatcher was a great Prime Minister but unfortunately I would have to pick Blair
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads