Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this always happens to me. i get all the other parts of the question, but when it comes to the last part, i DONT even get it.
    ok the question is:

the members of a wine tasting club are married couples. for any married couple, the prob of the husband being retired is 0.7
    the prob of a wife being retired is 0.4
    given that the wife is retired, the probability that the husband is retired is 0.8.
    for a randomly chosen married couple who are members of the club, find the prob that:

a) both are retired
    b) only one of them is retired
    c) neither of them is retired
    two married couples are chosen at random
    d) find the prob that only one of the two husbands and only one of the two wives is retired.

PLS PLS PLS HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE LAST PART!!!!!!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by papajani1234)
    this always happens to me. i get all the other parts of the question, but when it comes to the last part, i DONT even get it.
    ok the question is:

the members of a wine tasting club are married couples. for any married couple, the prob of the husband being retired is 0.7
    given that the wife is retired, the probability that the husband is retired is 0.8.
    for a randomly chosen married couple who are members of the club, find the prob that:

a) both are retired
    d) find the prob that only one of the two husbands and only one of the two wives is retired.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

The maths forum may be a better place to post these questions

I would try to help but I am puzzled by the solutions it doesn't quite make sense to me either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajani1234)
    ok the question is:

a) both are retired

So a is 0.32
    B is 0.3992
    C is 0.5704
    D is 0.6184 i think

Not sure if its right let me know if it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    So a is 0.32
    B is 0.3992
    C is 0.5704
    D is 0.6184 i think

Not sure if its right let me know if it is
    I'm afraid to say that all of them are incorrect, this is the thing with stats, if you get one part wrong - THE WHOLE thing's wrong !!! :bawling::eek4:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.