Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently sitting my GCSEs and I think I've done well in all of them so far (I've worked really hard revising these past few months). I want to do the following A levels next year: Mathematics, Physics, History and Spanish and would like to go onto do a physics degree. However I've picked Physics, History and Spanish because I like them, and Mathematics because I need that if I want to go to degree level physics. I don't know if I'll like A level maths or even be good at it and I don't know if I'll like degree level physics! Any advice is welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find most of A level maths is just focusing on the GCSE maths you have done, but in greater detail. The only really new topics are calculus, exponential and ln functions, binomial expansion, parametric equations. And because you're doing A Level physics, your applied maths modules would be mechanics (M1, M2).

If you hated things like bar charts, histograms and probability, you'll be pleased to see the back of them because they're in the statistics modules which you aren't likely to take

ReputationRep:
    I think the balance of choosing A-levels is really hard (I'm still debating my third option lol) You need to choose subjects you like and have a genuine interest in but also make sure those subjects are ones you are good at. I would say with maths, don't do it unless you are really committed; from what I've heard it's one of the hardest A-levels you could choose. At the same time, if doing maths A-level will help you achieve your end goal of doing a physics degree, go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georginarowley)
    I think the balance of choosing A-levels is really hard (I'm still debating my third option lol) You need to choose subjects you like and have a genuine interest in but also make sure those subjects are ones you are good at. I would say with maths, don't do it unless you are really committed; from what I've heard it's one of the hardest A-levels you could choose. At the same time, if doing maths A-level will help you achieve your end goal of doing a physics degree, go for it
    I'm totally committed to Maths; I went from a C in December to two marks off of an A in March. I know that I can put the necessary effort in, I don't know if I'll like it or just not be able to understand things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AxSirlotl)
    I'm totally committed to Maths; I went from a C in December to two marks off of an A in March. I know that I can put the necessary effort in, I don't know if I'll like it or just not be able to understand things.
    If you've got the commitment then go for it! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    You'll find most of A level maths is just focusing on the GCSE maths you have done, but in greater detail. The only really new topics are calculus, exponential and ln functions, binomial expansion, parametric equations. And because you're doing A Level physics, your applied maths modules would be mechanics (M1, M2).

If you hated things like bar charts, histograms and probability, you'll be pleased to see the back of them because they're in the statistics modules which you aren't likely to take
    I don't like bar charts, histograms but I don't mind probability. I like algebra and trig quite a bit though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently sitting my GCSEs and I think I've done well in all of them so far (I've worked really hard revising these past few months). I want to do the following A levels next year: Mathematics, Physics, History and Spanish and would like to go onto do a physics degree. However I've picked Physics, History and Spanish because I like them, and Mathematics because I need that if I want to go to degree level physics. I don't know if I'll like A level maths or even be good at it and I don't know if I'll like degree level physics! Any advice is welcomed.
    Did you know Prof. Brian Cox got a D in his A-level Maths? Doesn't mean you can slack off but he's a Physicist who got a D at A-level maths so if you can do better, then I guess you can do a lot more with your life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Did you know Prof. Brian Cox got a D in his A-level Maths? Doesn't mean you can slack off but he's a Physicist who got a D at A-level maths so if you can do better, then I guess you can do a lot more with your life!
    I didn't know that! I know I can put the effort in, just don't know if I'll understand some things.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that! I know I can put the effort in, just don't know if I'll understand some things.
    Over time, if you put the effort in, you can understand anything and everything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.