Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When comparing Box Plots:

I know what it means if the IQR is bigger (the content is less consistent), but what does it mean if the Range is bigger. My book says that they mean the same thing, but sometimes the IQR and Range differ (e.g one box having a higher IQR, while having a lower R)

Please help, I can't find this online, it's so dumb it's making me angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solar222222)

I know what it means if the IQR is bigger (the content is less consistent), but what does it mean if the Range is bigger. My book says that they mean the same thing, but sometimes the IQR and Range differ (e.g one box having a higher IQR, while having a lower R)

The Lowest Value = Lowest data shown
    The Highest Value = Highest Data Shown
    The Range = The amount between the lowest value and the highest value.
    Upper Quartile = 75% of the range + Lower Value
    Lower Quartile = 25% of the range + Lower Value
    Interquartile Range = The amount between the Lower Quartile and the Upper Quartile
    Median = 50% of the range + Lowest Value

Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?[/QUOTE]

Of course.

Say we have 2 Box Plots, one that shows the information about the weight guessed by the boys, and the other represents the girls. Compare the two:

- Girls have a larger median, so the guessed heavier weights.
    - Girls have a smaller IQR, so there is less variation in their guesses.
    - Girls have a bigger range....What do I say here?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?
    Of course.

Say we have 2 Box Plots, one that shows the information about the weight guessed by the boys, and the other represents the girls. Compare the two:

- Girls have a larger median, so the guessed heavier weights.
    - Girls have a smaller IQR, so there is less variation in their guesses.
    - Girls have a bigger range....What do I say here?[/QUOTE]

If there is a bigger median, it means that girls are heavier on average.

If there is a smaller IQR, it means that the girls weights tend to be the same so yes, less variation and difference in weight.

If there is a bigger range, it means that there is more variety in girls weights than in boys weights.

Hope this helps!?

ReputationRep:
    So they have both less and more variation? That makes no sense.I'm sorry, I'm still confused and it's driving me crazy.My book is treating it as if every time the IQR and Range are always the same (as in they both bigger or small than the other box plot). But I've had cases where they've been different and it's cost me the exam

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=solar222222;65367053]

So they have both less and more variation? That makes no sense.I'm sorry, I'm still confused and it's driving me crazy.

My book is treating it as if every time the IQR and Range are always the same (as in they both bigger or small than the other box plot). But I've had cases where they've been different and it's cost me the exam........

ReputationRep:

If you done the maths paper recently no point doing that **** now lmao aint coming again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junayd1998)
    If you done the maths paper recently no point doing that **** now lmao aint coming again
    Oh, is that how it works, do they not repeat? Well that sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, is that how it works, do they not repeat? Well that sucks.
    It wont come trust me loool revise histograms, cumtalive frequency and frequency poloygons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junayd1998)
    It wont come trust me loool revise histograms, cumtalive frequency and frequency poloygons.
    Thank you! =D

Anything else? They probably won't make us use compasses again, can't really remember much else (and I also only got to question 17, I didn't do so good)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! =D

Anything else? They probably won't make us use compasses again, can't really remember much else (and I also only got to question 17, I didn't do so good)
    Your welcome here is a full calc topic list https://www.mathswatchvle.com/docs/P...dexcel2016.pdf

I think i scraped 70 marks barely

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.