solar222222
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
When comparing Box Plots:

I know what it means if the IQR is bigger (the content is less consistent), but what does it mean if the Range is bigger. My book says that they mean the same thing, but sometimes the IQR and Range differ (e.g one box having a higher IQR, while having a lower R)

Please help, I can't find this online, it's so dumb it's making me angry.
k1234j
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by solar222222)

I know what it means if the IQR is bigger (the content is less consistent), but what does it mean if the Range is bigger. My book says that they mean the same thing, but sometimes the IQR and Range differ (e.g one box having a higher IQR, while having a lower R)

The Lowest Value = Lowest data shown
The Highest Value = Highest Data Shown
The Range = The amount between the lowest value and the highest value.
Upper Quartile = 75% of the range + Lower Value
Lower Quartile = 25% of the range + Lower Value
Interquartile Range = The amount between the Lower Quartile and the Upper Quartile
Median = 50% of the range + Lowest Value

Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?
solar222222
Rep:
?
Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?[/QUOTE]

Of course.

Say we have 2 Box Plots, one that shows the information about the weight guessed by the boys, and the other represents the girls. Compare the two:

- Girls have a larger median, so the guessed heavier weights.
- Girls have a smaller IQR, so there is less variation in their guesses.
- Girls have a bigger range....What do I say here?
k1234j
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hopefully this makes sense ! It's hard to describe it without the example! Could you post the example on here?
Of course.

Say we have 2 Box Plots, one that shows the information about the weight guessed by the boys, and the other represents the girls. Compare the two:

- Girls have a larger median, so the guessed heavier weights.
- Girls have a smaller IQR, so there is less variation in their guesses.
- Girls have a bigger range....What do I say here?[/QUOTE]

If there is a bigger median, it means that girls are heavier on average.

If there is a smaller IQR, it means that the girls weights tend to be the same so yes, less variation and difference in weight.

If there is a bigger range, it means that there is more variety in girls weights than in boys weights.

Hope this helps!?
solar222222
Rep:
?
So they have both less and more variation? That makes no sense.I'm sorry, I'm still confused and it's driving me crazy.My book is treating it as if every time the IQR and Range are always the same (as in they both bigger or small than the other box plot). But I've had cases where they've been different and it's cost me the exam
solar222222
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=solar222222;65367053]

So they have both less and more variation? That makes no sense.I'm sorry, I'm still confused and it's driving me crazy.

My book is treating it as if every time the IQR and Range are always the same (as in they both bigger or small than the other box plot). But I've had cases where they've been different and it's cost me the exam........
junayd1998
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If you done the maths paper recently no point doing that **** now lmao aint coming again
solar222222
Rep:
?
(Original post by junayd1998)
If you done the maths paper recently no point doing that **** now lmao aint coming again
Oh, is that how it works, do they not repeat? Well that sucks.
junayd1998
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, is that how it works, do they not repeat? Well that sucks.
It wont come trust me loool revise histograms, cumtalive frequency and frequency poloygons.
solar222222
Rep:
?
(Original post by junayd1998)
It wont come trust me loool revise histograms, cumtalive frequency and frequency poloygons.
Thank you! =D

Anything else? They probably won't make us use compasses again, can't really remember much else (and I also only got to question 17, I didn't do so good)
junayd1998
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you! =D

Anything else? They probably won't make us use compasses again, can't really remember much else (and I also only got to question 17, I didn't do so good)
Your welcome here is a full calc topic list https://www.mathswatchvle.com/docs/P...dexcel2016.pdf

I think i scraped 70 marks barely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.93%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.61%

Watched Threads