The Student Room Group

Which oxofrd college has the nicest accommodation?

What i particularly want is which colleges have the best views/ are in the oldest buildings, not some horrible modern thing- i.e. what feels the most authetically oxford?
All of the older colleges will (naturally) have old buildings, some feeling 'grander' than others, or more imposing depending on who you talk to. If you really hate modern buildings then you might want to avoid the more recently established colleges such as St. Catz, however, be aware that all (or most) colleges will have a 60s quad or annexe to house students in, typically in your first year. In a sense, it will be hard to guarantee that you will not have to live in a more modern building...

Personally, I don't think the more modern accommodation blocks are all that terrible to be honest. I'm biased, but Christ Church's Blue Boar quad, for instance, is actually quite nice. Plus it has decent heating and insulation!
Original post by Ayman19
What i particularly want is which colleges have the best views/ are in the oldest buildings, not some horrible modern thing- i.e. what feels the most authetically oxford?

Most of them feel fairly "authentic" but Christ Church, Oriel, etc. are those featured most often in films and, as such, look the "most Oxford". However, be aware that the cost of renting these rooms can vary enormously- I don't imagine it would feel too great to attend a college where somebody's socioeconomic status could be inferred from whether or not their room has a fireplace.
Original post by OreganoLightbulb
Most of them feel fairly "authentic" but Christ Church, Oriel, etc. are those featured most often in films and, as such, look the "most Oxford". However, be aware that the cost of renting these rooms can vary enormously- I don't imagine it would feel too great to attend a college where somebody's socioeconomic status could be inferred from whether or not their room has a fireplace.

However, it is also worth noting that not all colleges have this room scaling system where 'better' rooms cost more. Christ Church, for instance, charges a flat rate for all rooms regardless of whether you have a fireplace, a quad view, ensuite, location etc. If the possibility of this does worry an applicant, it would be wise to do some research by looking at college prospectuses or visiting on an open day to find those that don't (unless that is listed somewhere centrally that I'm unaware of). Some colleges also give priority in room ballots to 'scholars' or committee members which, although a different matter, could equally be something that you might feel uncomfortable with.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
From what I've heard, Keble, St John's, Worcester and Magdalen have exceptional accomodation. How "Oxford" they feel varies quite a lot but does that really matter?
Original post by Skitee
From what I've heard, Keble, St John's, Worcester and Magdalen have exceptional accomodation. How "Oxford" they feel varies quite a lot but does that really matter?

St John's accommodation is FAR FROM exceptional for first years! With a brother currently at Oxford and several friends at various colleges, this is totally untrue by comparison!!!

Hertford and St Hugh's both have really nice accommodation depending on where you are allocated. Another to consider is Keble.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending