Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am obviously already thinking about it, but I phrased it as such to get an opinion on whether I should go further in my inquiry.
    Here’s my story: I've just finished my exams for first year English, and have just got my coursework marks back for two modules (C and C+). I need a 60% average to study abroad but it seems I’m not getting in and I’m extremely disheartened.
    In the previous semester, I go 2 B s and 2 C s (one a C+) and I haven t done any better this semester with the aforementioned 2 modules being proof. Granted I am waiting for the results of 2 other modules, but I just feel so down! I chose English because I love reading and analysing characters and their situations and putting this into the wider context, But even in A-Levels I could only get a B in English whilst I consistently got top marks for psychology leaving with an A* for Psychology. I love psychology also because I find it fascinating to analyse people s actions and evaluate the human mind in general (part of my love for English evident there).
    I should mention that I have looked at the criticism for why I am not hitting the A s and the problem seems to be depth/ specifics and essay structure. I’ve thought about swallowing my pride and seeking out an A+ student to tutor me but they are going to be hard to find since my friends are kind of on the same level as me.
    ***I will be talking to my personal tutor, my head of department and my friend who did the same A-Levels as me and chose Psychology***
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pandapinkk)
    I am obviously already thinking about it, but I phrased it as such to get an opinion on whether I should go further in my inquiry.
    Here’s my story: I've just finished my exams for first year English, and have just got my coursework marks back for two modules (C and C+). I need a 60% average to study abroad but it seems I’m not getting in and I’m extremely disheartened.
    In the previous semester, I go 2 B s and 2 C s (one a C+) and I haven t done any better this semester with the aforementioned 2 modules being proof. Granted I am waiting for the results of 2 other modules, but I just feel so down! I chose English because I love reading and analysing characters and their situations and putting this into the wider context, But even in A-Levels I could only get a B in English whilst I consistently got top marks for psychology leaving with an A* for Psychology. I love psychology also because I find it fascinating to analyse people s actions and evaluate the human mind in general (part of my love for English evident there).
    I should mention that I have looked at the criticism for why I am not hitting the A s and the problem seems to be depth/ specifics and essay structure. I’ve thought about swallowing my pride and seeking out an A+ student to tutor me but they are going to be hard to find since my friends are kind of on the same level as me.
    ***I will be talking to my personal tutor, my head of department and my friend who did the same A-Levels as me and chose Psychology***
    If you were getting A's do you think you'd still be considering swapping to psychology?

ReputationRep:
    The technical essay structure and stuff is completely different on university level compared to alevel which you might find suits you more.
    And to be honest, grades don't always average out when you go to uni. E.g. I'm doing psychology: got B in Alevel but the new essay-style and maths focus means I've been getting higher grades of 1st's ; a school friend I know is doing English Literature (for which she got a C in) but has improved a lot also on the same basis.

So if your changing your mind to Psychology that's fine, but don't make it solely on grade worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology degree is 100% different to Psychology A level. The A level is just about memorising and regurgitating simple facts whereas the degree involves much more detailed and critical essays on smaller topics. I wouldn't feel overly confident that if your essay writing skills are lacking that that will not be a problem if you move to Psychology. That said, you only have one chance to swap degrees now so I would have a serious think, if you feel more interested in Psychology and have lost your commitment to English it might be worth trying. Just bear in mind that it's possible the problems you have now will still be there and you won't have another chance to change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about your potential academically. Think about what career you want to get out of the qualification.

Do you want to be an English professor? A writer? A literature analyst? (I can't think of many other jobs from an English degree xD)
    Or do you want to be a psychiatrist, or a psychology professor, or a mental health doctor, or just a psychology analyst?

Think about what job you would enjoy doing, and aim to achieve that. Your university degree is just a means to an end. You don't have to enjoy your degree course; you just need to enjoy the job you'll get after completing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you were getting A's do you think you'd still be considering swapping to psychology?
    I definitely wouldn't!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pandapinkk)
    I definitely wouldn't!
    I d stick at it for a bit longer if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Don't think about your potential academically. Think about what career you want to get out of the qualification.

Do you want to be an English professor? A writer? A literature analyst? (I can't think of many other jobs from an English degree xD)
    Or do you want to be a psychiatrist, or a psychology professor, or a mental health doctor, or just a psychology analyst?

Think about what job you would enjoy doing, and aim to achieve that. Your university degree is just a means to an end. You don't have to enjoy your degree course; you just need to enjoy the job you'll get after completing it.
    I want to be an English teacher, and a writer (novelist/poet but I need to get paid too!). In hindsight, I think I was being quite dramatic. I already bought my Semester 1 books early and I hate returning things from online suppliers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I d stick at it for a bit longer if you can.
    I think I will...It's just so hard going so long without an A, I never even got one for English past AS and A2 coursework and I just wanted to feel smart again.
    I guess I'll try harder...any tips would be nice especially as I'm entering second year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisegreenlocket)
    The technical essay structure and stuff is completely different on university level compared to alevel which you might find suits you more.
    And to be honest, grades don't always average out when you go to uni. E.g. I'm doing psychology: got B in Alevel but the new essay-style and maths focus means I've been getting higher grades of 1st's ; a school friend I know is doing English Literature (for which she got a C in) but has improved a lot also on the same basis.

So if your changing your mind to Psychology that's fine, but don't make it solely on grade worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for sharing yours and your friend's experience, it's given me more confidence. I think I may just stick to English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisegreenlocket)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess your right, I just need to use this summer to practice some intense essay structure adaption! I think that's one central issue.

ReputationRep:
    If you are unsure, don't think its crazy to take a year out to understand your interests better.
    But do what you're interested in. Grades don't really seem to matter all that much anyway ^^

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.