Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have on offer from a respectable venture capital firm for a one year work/internship place.

However long term I'd like to obtain a Master's degree in finance.

Could this experience give me any sort of edge, or will it be regarded more as a waste of time?

ReputationRep:
    Do it.

Too many people go straight into postgrad with no experience of anything apart from University and are then surprised that they can't get a job. It will look excellent on your application for a Masters place and give you important experience in a different environment which will give you skills, confidence and a bit more maturity. Very definitely worth doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshw1234)
    I have on offer from a respectable venture capital firm for a one year work/internship place.

However long term I'd like to obtain a Master's degree in finance.

Could this experience give me any sort of edge, or will it be regarded more as a waste of time?
    Can you do the master's degree part time? I'm doing my MA part time while working full time in the NHS. My applications for jobs look great and I'm pretty sure it went a long way in getting me my recent promotion.

Alternatively - as the above poster said, it would help on your master's application also. When I applied I had already been working for a year and I had a lot to talk about in my personal statement rather than just 'I took a slightly related module on my undergrad and enjoyed it so here I am' kind of thing. The only problem here is that if this year long work is paid, you will go from living on a salary back to nothing again as a student and I don't know about you but I would struggle giving up a good salary again. You do get used to the money and having disposable income so don't underestimate that either. Studying part time while working is no easy pursuit but it does give you the best of both worlds in my experience

ReputationRep:
    Experience >> qualifications in the eyes of employers. You can do a masters any time, but career opportunities don't come along every day.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for the job! On top of what all the others said you will also have more money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.