Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Out of the Loop- what's the prospect for getting on DClinPsy courses these days? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, graduated in 2001 (not psychology). PGCE in 2002. Have drug resistant major depression that's kept me from working the past 4 years. I do a little weekly volunteering with a mental health client group and have had a fair amount of therapy. I'm still a wee bit away from part-time work but I want to start considering what the heck to do next.

1) Are DClinPsy courses still insanely difficult to get into? Are the assistant psychologist posts likewise? Do other full time positions working with mental health clients count or is it quite a strict progression?

2) How does the workload compare to an undergraduate degree?

3) What happens to those who fail to get on any course at all? Is there a typicalr 'option b'?

4) Does the uni you train in matter much for getting post-qual jobs or can you find work in other areas of the UK with no difficulty?

5)Are there any good books about life as a clinical psychologist?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

http://www.clinpsy.org.uk is the forum you want to be on. Every question you can possibly have will be answered on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liebkuchen)
    Long story short, graduated in 2001 (not psychology). PGCE in 2002. Have drug resistant major depression that's kept me from working the past 4 years. I do a little weekly volunteering with a mental health client group and have had a fair amount of therapy. I'm still a wee bit away from part-time work but I want to start considering what the heck to do next.

1) Are DClinPsy courses still insanely difficult to get into? Are the assistant psychologist posts likewise? Do other full time positions working with mental health clients count or is it quite a strict progression?

2) How does the workload compare to an undergraduate degree?

3) What happens to those who fail to get on any course at all? Is there a typicalr 'option b'?

4) Does the uni you train in matter much for getting post-qual jobs or can you find work in other areas of the UK with no difficulty?

5)Are there any good books about life as a clinical psychologist?
    Hi there I can offer some information:

1) Yes they are incredibly difficult to get onto, look at the application stats on the Leeds Clearing House website (which is the central application website). However, the main requirement is a BPS accredited BA or BSc with Psychology as a major component - if you don't have this you will be auto rejected so make sure you fulfil this requirement (it is possible to do a BPS Psych conversion as a masters degree). Assistant psych posts are v competitive too and universities are aware of that so good quality mental health experience that has direct patient content is often also accepted. It might however be advantageous to try and get an Honorary Assistant Psych post alongside any other work e.g. HCA.

2) I can't comment as I haven't done the DClinPsych, but i think it would depend on several things such as what you are comparing it against e.g. where you did your undergrad, whilst also taking into account the doctorate is a full time 9-5 experience, with placements and academic and research work that parallel each other.

3) Again I'm not so sure but I would expect a lot stay in the mental health sector as support workers, or move into RA posts or perhaps give up and do something completely different.

4) I don't think it matters too much no.

5) The Skeleton Cupboard by Tanya Byron is a great semi autobiography of her time training in London. I would also look online at some blogs - google can help you with that, there are a couple of popular ones.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.