Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I've firmed Lancaster as my first choice to study Marketing Management! I just received the email about applying for a college and accommodation. Can anybody help me by just giving me some info about colleges and which ones are the best and how they differ etc please. Also, accommodation wise, is there any ones that are en-suite near the management school and which ones are the liveliest? I can't remember from the open day!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I'm in the same boat, I'm liking the look of the Townhouses though

ReputationRep:
    I've put Lonsdale as my first as that's ment to be the most lively kind of party collage with the best bar, and it's pretty close to the management school, compared to county and that. Then I've put Grizdale second. Both superior ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, there isn't a significant difference between the colleges beyond their location.

As a student who's been in Furness the past three years, yes, there is that feeling of a close community, but if you get involved with people within your college and go to college socials/join college teams then you should have no trouble meeting people (in addition to your course friends) no problem. Granted, the bigger colleges may be a little difficult to have that "everyone knows everyone" feeling that I've found in Furness, but you get out of your uni experience (and college) what you put into it.

Also, it's worth pointing out that, whilst you may be taking a course with the department based in a certain part of campus, that doesn't mean you won't have lectures in other parts of campus.

ReputationRep:
    So would you say its important to think about the distances we'll be walking from our colleges to subject rooms every day?
    And what type of room would you say is best? I'd like to have my own bathroom but I also like the more social aspect of the townhouses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkeast98)
    So would you say its important to think about the distances we'll be walking from our colleges to subject rooms every day?
    And what type of room would you say is best? I'd like to have my own bathroom but I also like the more social aspect of the townhouses
    Campus isn't actually that big, but yes i would think about walking distance. I would also recommend not choosing cartmel or lonsdale. They are fun colleges but they are a pain to walk to lectures from especially when it's cold. Also when its near to exams and you want to use the library until late, the walk isn't nice either (a bit scary actually). Also don't be put off of colleges which are slightly out of the way like county, the walking distance actually isn't that long. The townhouses are really fun to live in but they can be very loud because of the number of people that live in them. If your not bothered by the risk of loudness then i would go for the townhouse. I personally lived in a superior ensuite last year and i would recommend that over a townhouse. Having your own bathroom is amazing and i really missed having my own toilet this year (aha not weird at all).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.