Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I'm in the process of doing my ucas application (hoping for something in clearing sep 2016, but realistically looking at mar/sep 2017). I'm 30 years old, have a levels in English and arts subjects, did an NVQ and BTEC in customer service a few years ago, and am currently a junior manager for an electronics retailer. I have been a home carer since I was ten years old, would that count as experience in the eyes of universities?
    I've been applying for HCA posts for some time, but I've had a lot of health problems and surgeries this year hence the late application. But now that my health is under control I'm determined to do this.

Is there any reading that anyone would recommend? I'm working my way through the free OU medical modules atm.

I'm also trying to get some sort of volunteering going in a local hospital or nursing home and asking around for shadow placements/work experience. This might end up being too late to add to this years application, but this is what I want to do, so anything to bolster next years would be worth doing right?

I realise competition is fierce and I'm unlikely to get a place before the bursary is dead and buried, but am I likely to get a place generally without any relevant experience or qualifications?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I think lots of universities like you to have studied a science subject at A-level but I'm not sure how strict that is. I would suggest looking up the universities you are interested in because you don't want to waste a choice if they explicitly require a science.

You can definitely talk about how being a home carer has motivated you to be a nurse and the things you have learnt that will transfer well to nursing such as promoting independence, compassion, delivering personal care, dealing with challenging situations etc. You can also talk about how your job in retail gives you other skills like communication skills etc.

If you have plans for volunteering in the pipeline then you could mention that you are applying for these in your personal statement but don't say you have done something already if you haven't.

Whilst universities like experience, I have heard of people getting offers with no experience at all. I would suggest that you phone up the universities you are looking at and ask them if they are accepting late applications and what their entry requirements are, then you can make sure you're not wasting any choices if the courses are already full. (For September obviously!)

I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, most universities like you to have A-levels or the equivilant but they do take experiance into consideration. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am 35 with no previous care experience and no A-levels. I'm starting my degree in Adult Nursing this September at KCL so It definitely is possible. This time last year I was about to start my Access course in Health Sciences via distance learning so I could gain the equivalent of the 3 A-levels required for most nursing degrees. You will definitely require 3 A-levels or equivalent plus GCSE Maths and English at A-C grade. Give me a shout if you need any help and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely check if your uni choices will accept a non-science A Level - you're right in that competition is fierce so you may find your arts qualification isn't suitable. It really all depends on each of your choices' admissions teams though. It might be worth looking into an Access Course (I had no A Levels and like you was working in a totally unrelated field) in Nursing so you have the required entry route. I started in March 2016 and hope to finish end of this month - I've managed to get assessments and interviews at 4/4 of my chosen universities for September 2016 start.

There's no harm in applying for clearing anyway - what have you really got to lose?! - however you may find it best to take some time, get some experience, let your health settle and apply for early next year than rush for September entry. If you need any advice on Access courses let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've just been accepted onto a Child Nursing course for 2016 and didn't have any science A-Levels just History, Philosophy and English which obviously aren't relevant! But I had quite a bit of experience with working with children including being a Girlguiding leader and volunteering at Children's Health Charities which I think helped me a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayonoffear)
    Hi guys.

I'm in the process of doing my ucas application (hoping for something in clearing sep 2016, but realistically looking at mar/sep 2017). I'm 30 years old, have a levels in English and arts subjects, did an NVQ and BTEC in customer service a few years ago, and am currently a junior manager for an electronics retailer. I have been a home carer since I was ten years old, would that count as experience in the eyes of universities?
    I've been applying for HCA posts for some time, but I've had a lot of health problems and surgeries this year hence the late application. But now that my health is under control I'm determined to do this.

Is there any reading that anyone would recommend? I'm working my way through the free OU medical modules atm.

I'm also trying to get some sort of volunteering going in a local hospital or nursing home and asking around for shadow placements/work experience. This might end up being too late to add to this years application, but this is what I want to do, so anything to bolster next years would be worth doing right?

I realise competition is fierce and I'm unlikely to get a place before the bursary is dead and buried, but am I likely to get a place generally without any relevant experience or qualifications?

Thanks in advance
    Hey I have no A-levels, but do hold a degree (completely unrelated - not science, maths, or anything similar), and no physical care experience but have done a lot of voluntary work and run 2 community organisations, where I do things including healthcare advocacy. I applied late and have just been offered a place for a February 2017 start, subject to me completing a 6 months paid placement as a HCA first. I would say apply, you have nothing to lose by trying. Definitely get some volunteer work at your local hospital. University's have Jan, Feb, March and April 2017 starts, and whilst some of them are full, there are a few places left at others. Get on the phone and ring around! That's what I did and it was absolutely the best decision I made. It was frustrating and upsetting at first because everywhere kept telling me they were full, but it turned out there were a few places with space still available and the first interview I had I was offered a place

Best of luck to you!

(Original post by coffeecrumpets)
    Definitely check if your uni choices will accept a non-science A Level - you're right in that competition is fierce so you may find your arts qualification isn't suitable. It really all depends on each of your choices' admissions teams though. It might be worth looking into an Access Course (I had no A Levels and like you was working in a totally unrelated field) in Nursing so you have the required entry route. I started in March 2016 and hope to finish end of this month - I've managed to get assessments and interviews at 4/4 of my chosen universities for September 2016 start.

There's no harm in applying for clearing anyway - what have you really got to lose?! - however you may find it best to take some time, get some experience, let your health settle and apply for early next year than rush for September entry. If you need any advice on Access courses let me know!
    Out of interest, how did you get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Out of interest, how did you get in?
    I did Access to Nursing as a distance learning course as no admissions teams I spoke to would accept a non-science A Level or equivalent. I have my final interviews this week, so I'm hoping something will come of them!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the advice!
    I've actually just been offered a HCA job! I'm applying for uni for September on the off chance but I know if I don't get in then, then I'm sure to be accepted for the spring intake if I take all the training I can get. I'm so thrilled I've been offered this job, it's validated my choice to change careers. Fingers crossed for uni too

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm going to KCL too Are you doing the bachelor's course then? I'm 23 and going into this having done a first degree but with no health care experience so I was unable to do the PG Diploma course.

Just had the offer officially through on UCAS so I'm very happy but still feeling a bit nervous about it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat3001)
    Hi
    I am 35 with no previous care experience and no A-levels. I'm starting my degree in Adult Nursing this September at KCL so It definitely is possible. This time last year I was about to start my Access course in Health Sciences via distance learning so I could gain the equivalent of the 3 A-levels required for most nursing degrees. You will definitely require 3 A-levels or equivalent plus GCSE Maths and English at A-C grade. Give me a shout if you need any help and good luck!
    Hey i'm going to KCL too Are you doing the bachelor's course then? I'm 23 and going into this having done a first degree but with no health care experience so I was unable to do the PG Diploma course. Just had the offer officially through on UCAS so I'm very happy but still feeling a bit nervous about it all

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.