The Student Room Group

Edexcel history, Unit 3C The United States: Challenged and Transformed. 10th June 16

Hey anyone doing this paper? I'm doing the Boom Bust and Recovery section. any ideas on what may come up? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doing the same paper but Civil War section. Can't wait to not have to know so much stuff anymore...
Since last year was social impact, apparently this year will probably be economic issues in the 1920s (the economic boom)
Reply 3
Original post by antigone-
Since last year was social impact, apparently this year will probably be economic issues in the 1920s (the economic boom)

What question could they ask for an economic essay?
Original post by bsbnah
What question could they ask for an economic essay?

What were the causes of the economic boom?

Did everybody benefit from the economic boom?
Reply 5
What were the causes of the economic boom?

Did everybody benefit from the economic boom?

So we basically talk about car manufacturing, easy credit, laisse faire politics, techinal advances etc? :smile:
Original post by bsbnah
So we basically talk about car manufacturing, easy credit, laisse faire politics, techinal advances etc? :smile:

For causes yeah

For who benefitted - the middle classes, black people, farmers etc.
Reply 7
For causes yeah

For who benefitted - the middle classes, black people, farmers etc.

For the essay on who benefitted, can you elaborate on the points please so i can get an understanding of what to write
Original post by bsbnah
For the essay on who benefitted, can you elaborate on the points please so i can get an understanding of what to write

The middle classes benefitted from the consumer boom, radio, increased leisure etc.

African-Americans were persecuted by the KKK in the South and couldn't find high-paid employment in the North (some factories had an all-white policy)

Farmers faced low incomes and extreme poverty, with 600,000 farmers losing their farms in 1924 alone

Get the idea? There are more groups which are all outlined in the book :smile:
Reply 9
Do you have any notes regarding the extent of prosperity in the 1920s? (i.e. which groups benefited from the economic boom)
Reply 10
Original post by HNI
Do you have any notes regarding the extent of prosperity in the 1920s? (i.e. which groups benefited from the economic boom)

All mine are written but what you should know are; Car industry, techinal advances, easy credit, WW1, Governments laisse faire approach
Reply 11
Original post by bsbnah
All mine are written but what you should know are; Car industry, techinal advances, easy credit, WW1, Governments laisse faire approach

Thanks but I don't mean causes of the boom but rather which groups benefited from the economic boom. Its on the spec and I reckon they might ask it this year.
Reply 12
Original post by HNI
Thanks but I don't mean causes of the boom but rather which groups benefited from the economic boom. Its on the spec and I reckon they might ask it this year.

Businessmen benefited, farmers to an extent, working class... I'm not sure who else 😳 Who would you say?
Famers did not benefit from the boom, in fact, it could be argued that it worsened their situation as they became heavily in debt from purchasing new farming tech.
Reply 14
Original post by Griffin168
Famers did not benefit from the boom, in fact, it could be argued that it worsened their situation as they became heavily in debt from purchasing new farming tech.

Who would you say benefited
Original post by bsbnah
Who would you say benefited

Many Americans benefitted from the boom ranging from the big businessmen such as Ford all the way to the assembly line workers. In addition to this middle-class women also showed improvements in their lifestyles 'Flappers' and were tolerated in the workplace.
I liked the paper! If you any of you did the opposition question, did you talk about right-wing as well as left-wing critics?
I liked the paper! If you any of you did the opposition question, did you talk about right-wing as well as left-wing critics?

I mentioned them but only in the introduction and conclusion, in the main paragraphs i talked about Sinclair, Townsend, Couglin and Long
Reply 18

I spoke about right wing, left wing and supreme court and weighed them up in significance towards shaping the new deal... Idk if thats what was meant to be done?? Lol so i said left wing wasnt actually the most significant - it was supreme court
I talked about left successes and failures, then right wing critics, like anti-state elements within Supreme Court, like the Big Business and Liberty League legal challenges through them, and the Southern Cage in Congress.
I only used right wing critics to judge the success of the left though, I made that clear in my introduction.
Which part B did you do? I was pretty pleased with the New Deal stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending