Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird to be in the Halls of Residence if you're over 20? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that I'll be the only 21 year old in the Halls of Residence when I go to uni next year. Am I worrying too much about it?

I speak to 18-19 year olds quite a lot when I'm in town and look like I'm just starting sixth form, but still, if I'm the only one over 20 it might be a bit weird.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by tweddlr)
    I'm worried that I'll be the only 21 year old in the Halls of Residence when I go to uni next year. Am I worrying too much about it?

I speak to 18-19 year olds quite a lot when I'm in town and look like I'm just starting sixth form, but still, if I'm the only one over 20 it might be a bit weird.
    Half of my flatmates were over 20 and i never really noticed the age difference.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be grand so long as you don't mind the stuff they get up to, in my experience nobody is concerned with age so long as you get along with people well enough.

ReputationRep:
    There'll be many 21 year olds in halls, don't worry. I'll be 24 and am planning to stay in halls again. You'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, there's no way you'll be the only or even one of the only 21 year olds living in halls. I speak from experience. There were A LOT of people who were in their early to mid 20's living in halls/attending university when I first went. 21 isn't even old to be starting at university imo. You'll be fine and it won't look weird.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be 29 and living in halls when I go in 2017.

ReputationRep:
    I am in in halls when I go in sept. I am 28 but age- it's just a number, I am loads of fun it's just mentality. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey,

Completely the opposite, we have many students who have taken a break from education or have decided to start higher education later. Halls are a great way to meet new students of all ages.

Some Universities may offer 'Mature' flats so it is worth asking them if you feel like you would like to be in a flat with slightly older people.

However, I would say embrace the age differences and meet as many new people at University as possible!

Thanks,
    Brad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.