Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I had an email from the Student Loans today to let me know the amount that they are going to loan me.

It says at the bottom something along the lines that the money will be transfered into my bank account 'within 14 days of the course start date'.

I was wondering if anyone with previous experience of using loans knows when the loan is transferred? Do you get it at about 2 weeks before the course starts, or is it sooner? And is it sent in a lump sum or installments?

Kind regards,

Cassandra

ReputationRep:
    It's normally split into 3 installments (something like 30%, 30% and 40%)- you should receive the first installment when you enrol for your course (around the end of week 1 or week 2 of the first term).

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, when did you send your forms in? I want to know when to expect the details of how much support I'll receive. I've had three letters saying they're considering my application etc, but no details yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessKaty)
    Just out of interest, when did you send your forms in? I want to know when to expect the details of how much support I'll receive. I've had three letters saying they're considering my application etc, but no details yet!
    Same here. It is taking ages. I need new clothes

ReputationRep:
    you normally get paid the first instalment by cheque which you pick up at enrolment and then the rest is paid into your bank account directly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarist111)
    Hi,

I had an email from the Student Loans today to let me know the amount that they are going to loan me.

It says at the bottom something along the lines that the money will be transfered into my bank account 'within 14 days of the course start date'.

I was wondering if anyone with previous experience of using loans knows when the loan is transferred? Do you get it at about 2 weeks before the course starts, or is it sooner? And is it sent in a lump sum or installments?

Kind regards,

Cassandra
    First installment normally paid straight into your bank account within a fortnight of successful registration at the University.

ReputationRep:
    Most places pay the first installment by cheque either when you register or very soon after. The subsequent two will go direct into your account. (And straight out again in my case)

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a £3,000 loan and had £1,000 put in my account at the start of each term. You should get a letter telling you the dates.

ReputationRep:
    Its taking ages for the replies about loan because apparently theres a huge bakclog and problems with the student loan people

ReputationRep:
    as far as I'm aware, you have to register at uni and then they'll cough up... this stops people who say they are going to uni and then don't getting an interest free loan. Mine was in my bank within 3 weeks of starting i think, but if its paying hall fees or tuition fees with it, they take this into account and don't take money from you until about a month or so into term.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.