The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC B Geography Unit 2

Hey, I'm finding it hard to revise for unit 2 and was wondering if anyone had any resources or ideas on how to revise for it.
Well for the Theme 3 paper I am focusing on the most predicted Case Studies
14- MNC's/ TNC's
16- Water conflict on the River Nile

Try not to worry about Case Study 13 and 15 they cam up last year so very unlikely! Also Case Study 15 was used a lot in the Unit 1 exam.

Then for the decision making paper I am going through many past papers
I hope this helps x
Original post by Planetes
Hey, I'm finding it hard to revise for unit 2 and was wondering if anyone had any resources or ideas on how to revise for it.

Use the textbook
Reply 3
Hi Anna I'm doing wjec geography too I was wondering what case studies you are doing and if you could help me
Original post by Annabelle Jordan
Well for the Theme 3 paper I am focusing on the most predicted Case Studies
14- MNC's/ TNC's
16- Water conflict on the River Nile

Try not to worry about Case Study 13 and 15 they cam up last year so very unlikely! Also Case Study 15 was used a lot in the Unit 1 exam.

Then for the decision making paper I am going through many past papers
I hope this helps x
Reply 4
Which were the 2 that came up last year? What was 13&15?
Original post by Razzy1028
Hi Anna I'm doing wjec geography too I was wondering what case studies you are doing and if you could help me

Yeah Sure, I am revising them right now actually!!!

13-Call centres in Glasgow and Bangalore
14- Apple MNC
15- The Lake District
16- Climate Management
17- Transboundry water issue on the River Nile
18- Aid on Mali and Niger

I would focus on 14 and 17 as they haven't been on for a few years
I am missing out 13 and 15 kinda but look through but highly unlikely for both to come on so look at the others much more.

I have just finished answering the question for case study 14 and 16 so here it is

Apple is a software/ technology manufacturer from CaliforniaUSA. They sell products all over the world including items like the IPhone andIPad. Apple was founded by 3 college students from California USA in 1976 andis now one of the most well-known companies around the world. The head officeis situated in Cupertino California, home to the founders of Apple; here iswhere the research and design takes place. The software and technology is thendeveloped in Silicon Valley, famous for technology work. Situating the officehere means Apple can access well educated Graduates from Stanford and HarvardUniversity, as well as current workers at other companies situated in SiliconValley. They do not produce the products in the USA but instead in China inplaces like Shanghai, 10,146Km West Coast of California. The manufacturing work is outsourced tocompanies in China such as Foxconn and approximately 150 more companies. Theyoutsource the work to increase profits, as they don’t have to pay the workers aset pay as there is no minimum wage like in the UK. One statistic suggestedthat workers are only payed £1 an hour and have to work 12-16 hours, this isnot factually true as there are different levels of skill needed to make eachindividual device. In China there aren’t many workers rights therefore theycannot complain about long hours, low pay or lack of training, without runningthe risk of losing their job as there is a large labour pool and many unemployed,therefore they could be sacked for causing a fuss and with no hesitation someoneelse could take their job by the following morning. Another statistic suggestedthat in a single factory in Shanghai 80,000 people lived, worked and ate, witharound 10+ people in a small cramped room. These poor conditions and poorquality of life may be one of the reasons that in 2010 there were 14 suicidesin Foxconn factories alone. These may have happened because they found therejob, hard and tiring and didn’t want to disappoint their families in ruralareas if they were sacked. Apple has given many countries a sense of themultiplier effect as the factory is bringing jobs, and before you know itpeople can have a better life style as with workers paying taxes, thegovernment can then pay more public sector workers, like teachers, so students canhave better education and go on to higher education, later getting a high paidjob. Or nurses, who can look at more patients, provide them with medication andincrease life expectancy and decrease infant mortality. However with rapid increase in the number of factoriesthere has been an increase in pollution and smog’s therefore many people aresuffering from breathing problems.

Climate Management is needed due to climate change, today with an increase of burning fossil fuels more Carbon Dioxide is going into the atmosphere, as well as Methane from Pastoral Farming. The temperature of the world has increased by 2˚C since the start of the Industrial revolution, this is one of the causes of sea level rising, as with the temperature increasing the polar ice caps are melting and sea level is rising by around 0.9cm per year. If this continues places like the Maldives will soon be underwater, as today 80% of its 1,200 islands is no more than 1m above sea level. Climate change may also lead to more extreme weather events for example the Monsoon’s in South East Asia may have more rainfall and last for a longer period of time, as in some countries the temperature is getting colder, or longer droughts in the Sahel Desert due to an increase in temperature. There are many different ways to stop climate change and manage it on a local, national and international scale. On a local scale throughout the UK there are Park and Ride Scheme; in London the Boris Bikes (Bikes to rent out to cycle around the City of London and can be parked on any Boris bike rack across London) these reduce exhaust emissions going into the atmosphere. Other local management schemes include adding cycle lanes, to influence people to cycle as they can get places quicker while reducing their carbon foot print. In Curitiba Brazil they take a different route to help climate management, such as the ‘Green Scheme’ this allows all classes of people to recycle items in return for food or tickets for public transport, this is sustainable and helps climate management in two ways, by firstly recycling, however secondly with the use of public transport means less cars are on the road so less exhaust emissions entering the ozone layer. On a National and International scale is the Kyoto protocol, this is when 55 countries met in Kyoto, Japan in 1997 and agreed they wanted to reduce emissions by 5% from 1990- 2050. However in 2008, the EU decided to decrease emissions not only by 5% from 1990 but instead by 20% to still be achieved by 2050. This meant countries ended up investing in renewable energy (solar, tidal, wind and wave.) In the UK we mostly use wind energy as others for example solar is unreliable as we don’t get enough sun light. Whitelee Wind Farm is situated in Scotland and is one of the most well-known windfarms in the UK.

Hope these help I will put Case Study 17 and 18 on here in about an hour or so!!! x
Original post by Mayfate
Which were the 2 that came up last year? What was 13&15?

Yes it was x
TheRiver Nile is the longest river in the world (4000 miles long); it flowsthrough eleven countries in Africa, including Tanzania, Ethiopia, Sudan, Ugandaand Egypt. There is a lot of conflict about who owns what part of the river.Not one country has control over the Nile; however in 1950 a British Treatygave Sudan and Egypt ownership over 94% of the Nile. However Egypt took thisfor granted and built the Aswan Dam in 1971 to collect all the water forthemselves, this wasn’t a problem because Egypt is the last country on theNile, however when Ethiopia wants to build a dam, to take more water forthemselves it created tension and Egypt threatened Ethiopia with war in 2011.The water is needed in such a dry country, to fish for food not only to eat butsell and then water for the crops as they need to harvest them to feed thepeople of Egypt. With each country’s population rapidly increasing the water isneeded more and more, not only to water crops but to be purified to drink. Ugandais supposed to triple its population size my 3 times by 2050 from 2015. 50million people live within a mile of the River and rely on the water. All thecountries on the Nile excluding Egypt and Sudan signed a Cooperative FrameworkAgreement in May 2010 to seek more water from the River Nile and remove theBritish Treaty and the Nile Basin Initiative. Later in March 2015, Egypt agreedto let Ethiopia to build the Renaissance Dam without declaring war on them,conflict was averted�������pn��
WJEC SPEC. B >>> Case Studies:
14 - MNC: Nokia >>> http://www.yourgeography.com/a-multinational-corporation-mnc.html
16 - Managing the effects of climate change: China (Maldives) or London >>>
http://www.yourgeography.com/a-case-study-to-explore-the-different-views-surrounding-climate-change.html
17 - Trans-boundary water issue: South Africa >>> http://www.yourgeography.com/a-case-study-of-a-trans-boundary-water-issue.html
18 - International Aid: Mali >>> http://www.yourgeography.com/a-case-study-of-aid.html

Good luck, with the revision hopefully these links will help! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm confused as to what kind of content to revise for theme 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing specification A? :frown:
Original post by Halzy1234
I'm confused as to what kind of content to revise for theme 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go on Ace geography and revise over all the content for the theme 3 section. Don't do the case studies on there though as many are out of date.
Reply 12
Anyone guess what the decision making paper will be about?
Original post by Mayfate
Anyone guess what the decision making paper will be about?

Have a feeling it will be based on theme 3 because theme 2 has come up twice and theme 1 came up in 2014 which is fairly recent. Theme 3 hasn't come up since 2012. Then again I could be completely wrong...
Original post by sapphire79
Anyone doing specification A? :frown:

Yeah I am, what themes are you doing?
My exam is at 1:45 and I'm freaking out..people are saying theme three and that's what I'm weakest on !
Original post by Molly.rose.g
My exam is at 1:45 and I'm freaking out..people are saying theme three and that's what I'm weakest on !

Don't worry! Just relax and for every answer you attempt to give just think 'so what...' to develop your responses and you'll be fine.
Original post by camilledanielsen
Yeah I am, what themes are you doing?

I did Coasts, tourism and retail and urban change, How did you find it? :smile: I thought it was such an easy paper v pleased
How did everyone find it (spec b)?
Original post by Annabelle Jordan
Yeah Sure, I am revising them right now actually!!!

13-Call centres in Glasgow and Bangalore
14- Apple MNC
15- The Lake District
16- Climate Management
17- Transboundry water issue on the River Nile
18- Aid on Mali and Niger

I would focus on 14 and 17 as they haven't been on for a few years
I am missing out 13 and 15 kinda but look through but highly unlikely for both to come on so look at the others much more.

I have just finished answering the question for case study 14 and 16 so here it is

Apple is a software/ technology manufacturer from CaliforniaUSA. They sell products all over the world including items like the IPhone andIPad. Apple was founded by 3 college students from California USA in 1976 andis now one of the most well-known companies around the world. The head officeis situated in Cupertino California, home to the founders of Apple; here iswhere the research and design takes place. The software and technology is thendeveloped in Silicon Valley, famous for technology work. Situating the officehere means Apple can access well educated Graduates from Stanford and HarvardUniversity, as well as current workers at other companies situated in SiliconValley. They do not produce the products in the USA but instead in China inplaces like Shanghai, 10,146Km West Coast of California. The manufacturing work is outsourced tocompanies in China such as Foxconn and approximately 150 more companies. Theyoutsource the work to increase profits, as they don’t have to pay the workers aset pay as there is no minimum wage like in the UK. One statistic suggestedthat workers are only payed £1 an hour and have to work 12-16 hours, this isnot factually true as there are different levels of skill needed to make eachindividual device. In China there aren’t many workers rights therefore theycannot complain about long hours, low pay or lack of training, without runningthe risk of losing their job as there is a large labour pool and many unemployed,therefore they could be sacked for causing a fuss and with no hesitation someoneelse could take their job by the following morning. Another statistic suggestedthat in a single factory in Shanghai 80,000 people lived, worked and ate, witharound 10+ people in a small cramped room. These poor conditions and poorquality of life may be one of the reasons that in 2010 there were 14 suicidesin Foxconn factories alone. These may have happened because they found therejob, hard and tiring and didn’t want to disappoint their families in ruralareas if they were sacked. Apple has given many countries a sense of themultiplier effect as the factory is bringing jobs, and before you know itpeople can have a better life style as with workers paying taxes, thegovernment can then pay more public sector workers, like teachers, so students canhave better education and go on to higher education, later getting a high paidjob. Or nurses, who can look at more patients, provide them with medication andincrease life expectancy and decrease infant mortality. However with rapid increase in the number of factoriesthere has been an increase in pollution and smog’s therefore many people aresuffering from breathing problems.

Climate Management is needed due to climate change, today with an increase of burning fossil fuels more Carbon Dioxide is going into the atmosphere, as well as Methane from Pastoral Farming. The temperature of the world has increased by 2˚C since the start of the Industrial revolution, this is one of the causes of sea level rising, as with the temperature increasing the polar ice caps are melting and sea level is rising by around 0.9cm per year. If this continues places like the Maldives will soon be underwater, as today 80% of its 1,200 islands is no more than 1m above sea level. Climate change may also lead to more extreme weather events for example the Monsoon’s in South East Asia may have more rainfall and last for a longer period of time, as in some countries the temperature is getting colder, or longer droughts in the Sahel Desert due to an increase in temperature. There are many different ways to stop climate change and manage it on a local, national and international scale. On a local scale throughout the UK there are Park and Ride Scheme; in London the Boris Bikes (Bikes to rent out to cycle around the City of London and can be parked on any Boris bike rack across London) these reduce exhaust emissions going into the atmosphere. Other local management schemes include adding cycle lanes, to influence people to cycle as they can get places quicker while reducing their carbon foot print. In Curitiba Brazil they take a different route to help climate management, such as the ‘Green Scheme’ this allows all classes of people to recycle items in return for food or tickets for public transport, this is sustainable and helps climate management in two ways, by firstly recycling, however secondly with the use of public transport means less cars are on the road so less exhaust emissions entering the ozone layer. On a National and International scale is the Kyoto protocol, this is when 55 countries met in Kyoto, Japan in 1997 and agreed they wanted to reduce emissions by 5% from 1990- 2050. However in 2008, the EU decided to decrease emissions not only by 5% from 1990 but instead by 20% to still be achieved by 2050. This meant countries ended up investing in renewable energy (solar, tidal, wind and wave.) In the UK we mostly use wind energy as others for example solar is unreliable as we don’t get enough sun light. Whitelee Wind Farm is situated in Scotland and is one of the most well-known windfarms in the UK.

Hope these help I will put Case Study 17 and 18 on here in about an hour or so!!! x

HI anna i just would like to thank you massivley for your help! i got the case studies about water conflict and international differing view on climate change all i thought of i what you said and hopefully i think ive done well all thanks to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending