Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi,

    I received an offer from deloitte and they ask for a 2.1 (the offer letter says 2.2, 2.1 of 1st depending on UCAS points but when I spoke to them they said that for the stream I'd been offered, their minimum offer was a 2.1 regardless of UCAS points).

    My fiancé was extremely ill earlier in the year and was unable to walk for several months meaning that I had to spend a lot of time looking after her. This meant I got a long way behind on my uni work. Due to the nature of the course I am on, it was nearly impossible to catch up and if I take my final year exams there is very little chance of getting a 2.1 and a fairly high chance of getting a 3rd.

    My options at the moment appear to be to:
    a) take the exams and see how it goes
    b) changing my course from a Masters back to a Bachelors and leaving with a 2.2
    c) withdrawing from my exams and doing the whole year again but taking different options
    d) withdrawing from my exams and taking the same options and only coming back to sit the exams.

    I made the partner who interviewed me aware of this in my interview and told him that my situation had changed since I had applied and that now there was almost no chance of me meeting the academic requirements. However, he still decided to offer me a position knowing that I would probably not be able to meet the requirements.

    I am planning to contact my onboarding contact to ask them about my situation.

    Does anyone have any actually helpful advice rather than the 'you should have worked harder to get a 2.1' that seems to crop up so often on these threads. I'm not looking for sympathy either, just if anyone else has been in this situation, it would help to hear what happened.
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    I am assuming you were extended a conditional rather than an unconditional offer?

    Before making any decisions, you need to contact them and let them know you are not going to make the academic requirements and receive in writing from them that they will continue hiring you despite this. Tell them what the Partner has said to you.

    If not, then retake the year in my opinion.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    I am assuming you were extended a conditional rather than an unconditional offer?

    Before making any decisions, you need to contact them and let them know you are not going to make the academic requirements and receive in writing from them that they will continue hiring you despite this. Tell them what the Partner has said to you.

    If not, then retake the year in my opinion.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. Yes a conditional offer.

    That's my plan, I tried to phone my HR contact today but couldn't get through so I'll probably email them. My dodgy paper is luckily the first one and I don't have to make a decision to withdraw until I enter the final exam. I feel like if Deloitte won't take me I'll try to find something else as an interim and apply to EY who have no degree requirements - I didn't apply to them as I already had offers from each of the other three. What's your opinion on doing that?
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Thanks. Yes a conditional offer.

    That's my plan, I tried to phone my HR contact today but couldn't get through so I'll probably email them. My dodgy paper is luckily the first one and I don't have to make a decision to withdraw until I enter the final exam. I feel like if Deloitte won't take me I'll try to find something else as an interim and apply to EY who have no degree requirements - I didn't apply to them as I already had offers from each of the other three. What's your opinion on doing that?
    Redoing the year should be a last resort, so if you can get an offer from EY in the interim or permanently, then absolutely go with that.
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Redoing the year should be a last resort, so if you can get an offer from EY in the interim or permanently, then absolutely go with that.
    Yeah, the worst thing is I can't do my exams and then redo the year, I have to decide to redo the year before I do my exams...
 
 
 
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.