Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find an existing forum for this year's exam.
    I've studied the Crucible and I am ok with the section A part of the exam but I feel completely lost with section B..Has anyone got a good structure for section B or tips with what to include?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi! I moved this to the English forum for you - you're more likely to get a good discussion here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samhbx)
    I can't seem to find an existing forum for this year's exam.
    I've studied the Crucible and I am ok with the section A part of the exam but I feel completely lost with section B..Has anyone got a good structure for section B or tips with what to include?
    Hey!
    I can't seem to find much on this exam as well I guess everyone does ELLA instead of the ELLB3 one;

for the structre for part B;

-Introduce both texts
    Text A is talk in life... this is because it uses interactional features such as...
    Text B is talk in lit...this is because (any convetion of drama/prose that you spot in the given extract)
    Both texts have different purposes..think about TRIPE (TRANSACTIONAL/INNTERCATIONAL/REFERENTAIL/3XPRESSIVE/PHATIC
    Despite both texts being different forms- both share the same topic...

- Compare Contextual factors of both texts
    - Setting- how does this influance language in both texts
    -Setting (In text B)- you have to talk about the way in which the writer creates the setting through his authorial description the premodifiers he/she uses, nouns, adverbs adjectives
    then have two sentences where you sum up how setting inlfuances the speech in both texts
    -Speaker identity- look at their socioloect/age/gender/ occpation/regional dialect
    Speaker Identity (In textsB) how does the author present the character?
    THROUGH appearanace/the way the look
    Through their speech the way that they speak/words they use
    the narrative voice- the attitudes and vales that the characters have
    - two sentences comparing both speaker identitities- in text b it's crafted for effect think why the character is reprsented in this way?
    THIS IS ALSO WHERE YOU COMPARE ATTITUDES AND VALUES OF CHARACTERS!!!!
    -Audience- in spontaneous speech the audience are the speakers who address each other- look at their relationship that they have/ differences in status/ conversational dominance-who dominates and why?- length of turn/feedback/agenda setting/topic maker/shift/loop diggressions ect. analyse why the diffrences in status exist and how that effects the delivery of text
    Audience(in TextB/Prose/Drama)- you have internal audience i.e; the characters you have to analyse the relationships that they have in the same way as for the spoken language above but be aware that relationships in Text B are crafted for a particular purpose- i.e; create tension/reveal characters,

-Comapre Lexis- In text A and Text B

-Comapre Interactional Features in Text A/ opening-closing seqences/ feedback/adjacency pair/insertion sequence/side sequence ect
    you cold mention that those devices give the text overall sturcture ect
    comapre it with the way that text B is structured

PROSODIC FEATURES IN TEXT A v PHONOLOGY IN TEXT B

ADD THEORY IN TEXT A WHERE IT'S RELEVANT OR BACKS UP ANY POINT THAT YOU ARE MAKING ABOVE. YOU DON'T NEED A WHOLE PARAGRAPH ON THEORY BECAUSE IT'S NEVER RELEVANT.

Conclsion: sum up your debate make sure that you tell the examiner that you know that the fact that both texts are different modes of communication affect the delivery of the text- have a killer point that really impresses the examiner-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eryka)
    Hey!
    I can't seem to find much on this exam as well I guess everyone does ELLA instead of the ELLB3 one;

for the structre for part B;

-Introduce both texts
    Text A is talk in life... this is because it uses interactional features such as...
    Text B is talk in lit...this is because (any convetion of drama/prose that you spot in the given extract)
    Both texts have different purposes..think about TRIPE (TRANSACTIONAL/INNTERCATIONAL/REFERENTAIL/3XPRESSIVE/PHATIC
    Despite both texts being different forms- both share the same topic...

- Compare Contextual factors of both texts
    - Setting- how does this influance language in both texts
    -Setting (In text B)- you have to talk about the way in which the writer creates the setting through his authorial description the premodifiers he/she uses, nouns, adverbs adjectives
    then have two sentences where you sum up how setting inlfuances the speech in both texts
    -Speaker identity- look at their socioloect/age/gender/ occpation/regional dialect
    Speaker Identity (In textsB) how does the author present the character?
    THROUGH appearanace/the way the look
    Through their speech the way that they speak/words they use
    the narrative voice- the attitudes and vales that the characters have
    - two sentences comparing both speaker identitities- in text b it's crafted for effect think why the character is reprsented in this way?
    THIS IS ALSO WHERE YOU COMPARE ATTITUDES AND VALUES OF CHARACTERS!!!!
    -Audience- in spontaneous speech the audience are the speakers who address each other- look at their relationship that they have/ differences in status/ conversational dominance-who dominates and why?- length of turn/feedback/agenda setting/topic maker/shift/loop diggressions ect. analyse why the diffrences in status exist and how that effects the delivery of text
    Audience(in TextB/Prose/Drama)- you have internal audience i.e; the characters you have to analyse the relationships that they have in the same way as for the spoken language above but be aware that relationships in Text B are crafted for a particular purpose- i.e; create tension/reveal characters,

-Comapre Lexis- In text A and Text B

-Comapre Interactional Features in Text A/ opening-closing seqences/ feedback/adjacency pair/insertion sequence/side sequence ect
    you cold mention that those devices give the text overall sturcture ect
    comapre it with the way that text B is structured

PROSODIC FEATURES IN TEXT A v PHONOLOGY IN TEXT B

ADD THEORY IN TEXT A WHERE IT'S RELEVANT OR BACKS UP ANY POINT THAT YOU ARE MAKING ABOVE. YOU DON'T NEED A WHOLE PARAGRAPH ON THEORY BECAUSE IT'S NEVER RELEVANT.

Conclsion: sum up your debate make sure that you tell the examiner that you know that the fact that both texts are different modes of communication affect the delivery of the text- have a killer point that really impresses the examiner-
    Omg you are a Godsend!! This is so helpful, thank you so much!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.