samhbx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I can't seem to find an existing forum for this year's exam.
I've studied the Crucible and I am ok with the section A part of the exam but I feel completely lost with section B..Has anyone got a good structure for section B or tips with what to include?
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! I moved this to the English forum for you - you're more likely to get a good discussion here
Eryka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by samhbx)
I can't seem to find an existing forum for this year's exam.
I've studied the Crucible and I am ok with the section A part of the exam but I feel completely lost with section B..Has anyone got a good structure for section B or tips with what to include?
Hey!
I can't seem to find much on this exam as well I guess everyone does ELLA instead of the ELLB3 one;

for the structre for part B;

-Introduce both texts
Text A is talk in life... this is because it uses interactional features such as...
Text B is talk in lit...this is because (any convetion of drama/prose that you spot in the given extract)
Both texts have different purposes..think about TRIPE (TRANSACTIONAL/INNTERCATIONAL/REFERENTAIL/3XPRESSIVE/PHATIC
Despite both texts being different forms- both share the same topic...

- Compare Contextual factors of both texts
- Setting- how does this influance language in both texts
-Setting (In text B)- you have to talk about the way in which the writer creates the setting through his authorial description the premodifiers he/she uses, nouns, adverbs adjectives
then have two sentences where you sum up how setting inlfuances the speech in both texts
-Speaker identity- look at their socioloect/age/gender/ occpation/regional dialect
Speaker Identity (In textsB) how does the author present the character?
THROUGH appearanace/the way the look
Through their speech the way that they speak/words they use
the narrative voice- the attitudes and vales that the characters have
- two sentences comparing both speaker identitities- in text b it's crafted for effect think why the character is reprsented in this way?
THIS IS ALSO WHERE YOU COMPARE ATTITUDES AND VALUES OF CHARACTERS!!!!
-Audience- in spontaneous speech the audience are the speakers who address each other- look at their relationship that they have/ differences in status/ conversational dominance-who dominates and why?- length of turn/feedback/agenda setting/topic maker/shift/loop diggressions ect. analyse why the diffrences in status exist and how that effects the delivery of text
Audience(in TextB/Prose/Drama)- you have internal audience i.e; the characters you have to analyse the relationships that they have in the same way as for the spoken language above but be aware that relationships in Text B are crafted for a particular purpose- i.e; create tension/reveal characters,

-Comapre Lexis- In text A and Text B

-Comapre Interactional Features in Text A/ opening-closing seqences/ feedback/adjacency pair/insertion sequence/side sequence ect
you cold mention that those devices give the text overall sturcture ect
comapre it with the way that text B is structured

PROSODIC FEATURES IN TEXT A v PHONOLOGY IN TEXT B

ADD THEORY IN TEXT A WHERE IT'S RELEVANT OR BACKS UP ANY POINT THAT YOU ARE MAKING ABOVE. YOU DON'T NEED A WHOLE PARAGRAPH ON THEORY BECAUSE IT'S NEVER RELEVANT.

Conclsion: sum up your debate make sure that you tell the examiner that you know that the fact that both texts are different modes of communication affect the delivery of the text- have a killer point that really impresses the examiner-
samhbx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Eryka)
Hey!
I can't seem to find much on this exam as well I guess everyone does ELLA instead of the ELLB3 one;

for the structre for part B;

-Introduce both texts
Text A is talk in life... this is because it uses interactional features such as...
Text B is talk in lit...this is because (any convetion of drama/prose that you spot in the given extract)
Both texts have different purposes..think about TRIPE (TRANSACTIONAL/INNTERCATIONAL/REFERENTAIL/3XPRESSIVE/PHATIC
Despite both texts being different forms- both share the same topic...

- Compare Contextual factors of both texts
- Setting- how does this influance language in both texts
-Setting (In text B)- you have to talk about the way in which the writer creates the setting through his authorial description the premodifiers he/she uses, nouns, adverbs adjectives
then have two sentences where you sum up how setting inlfuances the speech in both texts
-Speaker identity- look at their socioloect/age/gender/ occpation/regional dialect
Speaker Identity (In textsB) how does the author present the character?
THROUGH appearanace/the way the look
Through their speech the way that they speak/words they use
the narrative voice- the attitudes and vales that the characters have
- two sentences comparing both speaker identitities- in text b it's crafted for effect think why the character is reprsented in this way?
THIS IS ALSO WHERE YOU COMPARE ATTITUDES AND VALUES OF CHARACTERS!!!!
-Audience- in spontaneous speech the audience are the speakers who address each other- look at their relationship that they have/ differences in status/ conversational dominance-who dominates and why?- length of turn/feedback/agenda setting/topic maker/shift/loop diggressions ect. analyse why the diffrences in status exist and how that effects the delivery of text
Audience(in TextB/Prose/Drama)- you have internal audience i.e; the characters you have to analyse the relationships that they have in the same way as for the spoken language above but be aware that relationships in Text B are crafted for a particular purpose- i.e; create tension/reveal characters,

-Comapre Lexis- In text A and Text B

-Comapre Interactional Features in Text A/ opening-closing seqences/ feedback/adjacency pair/insertion sequence/side sequence ect
you cold mention that those devices give the text overall sturcture ect
comapre it with the way that text B is structured

PROSODIC FEATURES IN TEXT A v PHONOLOGY IN TEXT B

ADD THEORY IN TEXT A WHERE IT'S RELEVANT OR BACKS UP ANY POINT THAT YOU ARE MAKING ABOVE. YOU DON'T NEED A WHOLE PARAGRAPH ON THEORY BECAUSE IT'S NEVER RELEVANT.

Conclsion: sum up your debate make sure that you tell the examiner that you know that the fact that both texts are different modes of communication affect the delivery of the text- have a killer point that really impresses the examiner-
Omg you are a Godsend!! This is so helpful, thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads