Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I got an offer from 3 universities of UK and have difficulties in choosing the one that suits me best. Here is their list:
    1. University College London - Computer Science MEng (G402)
    2. University of Edinburgh - Computer Science and Electronics BEng (GH46)
    3. University of Manchester - Computer Systems Engineering (GH4P)
    Actually, I want to study both the CS and Electronic Engineering. So, I think UCL with its "only CS" course doesn't fit me. The other two choices are difficult to decide. Your advice would help me a lot to decide which one to choose)

ReputationRep:
    Are you Scottish? Because if I had to choose between free tuition and 9k per year, it becomes a no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Are you Scottish? Because if I had to choose between free tuition and 9k per year, it becomes a no brainer.
    No. unfortunately I'm not from UK. Fees are nearly the same for each of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Note)
    No. unfortunately I'm not from UK. Fees are nearly the same for each of them.
    I'm guessing you're not from Europe either? As you get the "local" rate at whatever university you go to, which for Scotland would be free as the locals don't pay.

If they're about the same fees then your best bet is to look at subject/league tables.

Other than that, have you been to both? Did you like one more than the other? Does anything about either city appeal to you more than the other?

If you're totally split down the middle then it doesn't have to be an academic reason to push you one way or the other, it can be anything that matters to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're not from Europe either? As you get the "local" rate at whatever university you go to, which for Scotland would be free as the locals don't pay.

If they're about the same fees then your best bet is to look at subject/league tables.

Other than that, have you been to both? Did you like one more than the other? Does anything about either city appeal to you more than the other?

If you're totally split down the middle then it doesn't have to be an academic reason to push you one way or the other, it can be anything that matters to you.
    I have never been to any of them. From academic point of view, CS department of Uof Edinburgh is considered as the best among them. The main thing for me is the quality of education as I'm leaving my current university for that reason.So my question was mainly about the academic qualities.

One thing that I don't like about Edinburgh is that it's not a modern city. But if there's a big difference between the academic reputation of University of Manchester and Edinburgh, then it should not be a deal breaker.

ReputationRep:
    I have never been to any of them. From academic point of view, CS department of Uof Edinburgh is considered as the best among them. The main thing for me is the quality of education as I'm leaving my current university for that reason.So my question was mainly about the academic qualities.

One thing that I don't like about Edinburgh is that it's not a modern city. But if there's a big difference between the academic reputation of University of Manchester and Edinburgh, then it should not be a deal breaker.
    Define a "modern" city?

If you're referring to the age it was built in, Manchester isn't exactly brand new. If you're referring to how multicultural, affluent or progressive the city is, then it's about as good as any other in the country. Probably better than many.

Another thing to consider might be average rent/student halls prices? Edinburgh is pretty pricey.

ReputationRep:
    Define a "modern" city?

If you're referring to the age it was built in, Manchester isn't exactly brand new. If you're referring to how multicultural, affluent or progressive the city is, then it's about as good as any other in the country. Probably better than many.

Another thing to consider might be average rent/student halls prices? Edinburgh is pretty pricey.
    Yeah, you understood me As I'm expecting to get the fees paid by my government or sponsoring companies, they will consider the prices. Then, maybe the only factor left for me to decide is which has better education of CS and Electronics. Can you give your opinions about this aspect, please?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you understood me As I'm expecting to get the fees paid by my government or sponsoring companies, they will consider the prices. Then, maybe the only factor left for me to decide is which has better education of CS and Electronics. Can you give your opinions about this aspect, please?
    I've no idea which offers a better education. As I said, look at league tables for CS and electronics. They both rank pretty highly on the all subject league table.

Realistically no one will be able to give you anything more than their experience with the course at either university, and the chances of finding someone who's been on either course is probably fairly low unless you find a forum for students at these institutions.

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure it will all go well in either event!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.