The Cold War GCSE help??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have my History paper 1 on Monday and am really beginning to panic. Would anyone be able to explain to me cominform and comecon, and the Truman Doctrine? I am also struggling with the iron curtain and Detente. I have tried to through the internet etc. but don't understand at all.
    Thank you =)

ReputationRep:
    I can help you with this, it is quite simple to explain. However, I am away at the moment and won't be returning until Friday. So I haven't got my history notes with me, I will explain from the notes that I have been given in class. Would it be okay if I explained it to you on Friday? I know your exam is on Monday, but they are quite simple ideas to explain

ReputationRep:
    Cominform was founded in September 1947 and is short for the Communist Information Bureau. It was a forum for communist workers which allowed communist parties to coordinate actions. The fact that it was the first international forum of its kind confirmed the realities of both the Second World War and the eastern bloc. It was dissolved in 1956 during de-Stalinisation.

Comecon is short for Council for Mutual Economic Assistance and was formed in January 1949. It was dissolved in 1991. It included all soviet states as well as communist (but non soviet) countries, such as Vietnam and Mongolia, for example. Comecon was designed to provide economic assistance to countries in order to stop them from allying with the USA, and so was a response to the Marshall Plan.

The Truman doctrine was the American version of Comecon - the USA provided financial aid to countries in order to prevent them from turning to communism. It was first announced by Truman in 1947 and expanded in 1948. the aid was primarily given to turkey and Greece in order to support heir economies and so reduce the threat of them turning communist.

The iron curtain was an imaginary line dividing Europe into two halves - soviet allies and USA allies. It was first mentioned at the end of the Second World War in 1945, and continued until the end of the Cold War in 1991. It was so named because the Soviet Union attempted to block any satellites or communications from reaching the west.

Détente is the easing of strained relations, especially political. When a relationship between countries or parties of differing ideological views becomes tense and strained, detente is the process of making them less tense.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, it really helped.

ReputationRep:
    Also the Truman doctrine began in 1947 after the long telegram that was sent in 1946. The long telegram stated that Stalin had given a speech calling for the destruction of capitalism and said that there could be no peace between the USA and the USSR as it was opposed to capitalism.It also said that the USSR was building its military power.
    After the long telegram Truman got his military to asses the strength of the soviet army and they saw that the USSR was in no shape for a war although communism did have a draw to countries damaged during the war as wealth would be spread. Truman did not want communism to spread so he brought in the Truman Doctrine. It said that America had the responsibility to protect the world and that communists and capitalists were opposed and that there would be no further cooperation.The Truman doctrine was the unofficial beginning of the cold war. As part of the Truman Doctrine, Truman brought in the Marshall plan in 1947 where America committed $13 billion of American money to rebuild ruined Europe.It stopped the appeal of communism and contained communism. Th Marshall plan also brought in isolation, a policy where America stayed out of events in Europe.
    Comecon was brought in,n 1949, as Stalin's answer to the Marshall plan. It aimed to encourage development in Eastern Europe and politically it would limit America's influence. Comecon offered money, food and resources making it attractive.

Like stated above detente is a relaxation of tension, key events of Detente include the outer space treaty that stopped the arms race going into space so no nuclear weapons in space placed by the superpowers, the nuclear non-proliferation treaty that said that neither superpower would provide or help other counties develop nuclear weapons, SALT 1 (strategic arms limitation treaty)that agreed that no ballistic missiles or submarines carrying missiles could be produced till existing supplies ran out, the Helsinki conference that agreed to greater cooperation between superpowers and allies and then the Apollo-soyuz mission which was a joint space missions between the superpower which marked restart of cooperation as it showed that the superpowers could work together towards one goal.
    Detente ended around 1979 mainly due to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.The Americans did not like the invasion as they did not want communism to spread to this part of the world. The American president at the time, Carter was appalled by the soviet aggression and brought in the carter doctrine where the US supported rebels opposed to the soviets, the doctrine also stopped trade with soviet union and ended all diplomatic relations.Carter also lead the boycotting of the 1980 Moscow Olympic games and many other countries did not attend in protest to the soviet invasion. From here the relationship between the superpowers broke down and detente had truly ended making detente look like nothing other that a propaganda stunt that only came about due to the high cost of nuclear weapons and the inability of the superpowers to get nuclear weapons. Detente also happened as the countries feared war or nuclear fallout.
    Best of luck on your exam xxx

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the detente notes, really helped.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome c= How did you feel the actual exam went?...I did bad in the last question on the flashpoint in Berlin..I knew that the Berlin blockade and airlift were not in the time frame given but still wrote about them and the two given..also wrote about trizonia causing tension and the 6 month ultimatum...hope i get some marks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdomkey123)
    You're welcome c= How did you feel the actual exam went?...I did bad in the last question on the flashpoint in Berlin..I knew that the Berlin blockade and airlift were not in the time frame given but still wrote about them and the two given..also wrote about trizonia causing tension and the 6 month ultimatum...hope i get some marks..
    Do you think writing about the Summits would gain me some marks, for example the Paris one when the spy plane got shot down?

ReputationRep:
    That was at the Paris summit meeting when the American U2 plane was shot down and the soviets refused to apologize causing tension..im not sure if you will get marks if you put this in the Berlin flashpoint question unless you somehow linked it to the events in Berlin...but as they say history papers are positively marked so even if it i wrong the examiner will mark only the points you did right.
    Best of luck in all of your exam xxx I really need to revise the Russia topic now...)=

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.