Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About to start my A-Levels but I want to prepare for my uni application to study english at a top tier university so I was wondering if theres anything I can start doing now that I could add and improve my personal statement
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by besnsontoast)
    About to start my A-Levels but I want to prepare for my uni application to study english at a top tier university so I was wondering if theres anything I can start doing now that I could add and improve my personal statement
    The best advice - start looking now at the detail of different english degrees. Look on university websites and prospectuses, look at the english department websites.

Find out about who teaches on different english degrees and what THEY are interested in. Find out what modules and topics different courses cover (there's HUGE variety). Find out what information they give on their websites about what they're looking for in an applicant (Bristol are a good place to start - they have the clearest information about what they're looking for in a PS for each subject: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...16/english.pdf ).

It isn't so much about ticking boxes of activities - it's more about putting in some time to understand your audience. If you understand your audience you can write a good, thoughtful PERSONAL statement about your interests, books/plays/poems/etc you've enjoyed (and those you didn't enjoy but have learnt a lot from) that highlights that you:
    a) understand what you're applying for (if a course includes compulsory Shakespeare in all 3 years and you don't mention anything pre-1900 in your application you're missing a trick).
    b) have the enthusiasm and motivation to succeed on the degree (putting in some free time to read/explore different texts that aren't taught at school, doing an EPQ, going to see plays/listening to radio plays/watching performances....even listening to Poetry Please with Roger McGough regularly)
    c) have the necessary skills to succeed on the degree (mostly this is covered by your grades but for an english PS making sure it is well written (not flowery!), well structured and compelling will be a big bonus).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.