The Student Room Group

Can I pull out after accepting an offer?

I'm really struggling to decide what university to go to.
I applied for deferred entry as I'm taking gap year, but the university I would really like to go to is one that I didn't apply for this cycle. I have already made firm & insurance choices, and while I wouldn't mind going to either of them, neither are my top choice. Can I pull out of an offer after making my choices? Bearing in mind I'm not starting until 2017, the universities will have plenty of notice.

I'm thinking of applying to my top choice next cycle, as well as re-applying to the universities that accepted me this cycle. Do you think the others would give me an offer again after pulling out? Is this a wise decision? I'm worried it might be too risky to give up the places I have but I would regret not even applying for my top choice.
Reply 1
You can pull out, there's nothing to make you go. As for applying next year you firm might not give you another offer and some of the others may be a bit sceptical (but you can't say for sure). Also you would need to find a new reference as your college/sixth form will no longer provide the reference as you no longer go to college (that's the rule at my college anyway)
However if you think you'll regret it if you don't then I say go for it. There's nothing worse then thinking 'what if' for the rest of your life :smile:
Original post by Ryan7926
I'm really struggling to decide what university to go to.
I applied for deferred entry as I'm taking gap year, but the university I would really like to go to is one that I didn't apply for this cycle. I have already made firm & insurance choices, and while I wouldn't mind going to either of them, neither are my top choice. Can I pull out of an offer after making my choices? Bearing in mind I'm not starting until 2017, the universities will have plenty of notice.

I'm thinking of applying to my top choice next cycle, as well as re-applying to the universities that accepted me this cycle. Do you think the others would give me an offer again after pulling out? Is this a wise decision? I'm worried it might be too risky to give up the places I have but I would regret not even applying for my top choice.

You can pull out at any time and re-apply for 2017 entry. Just withdraw on UCAS Track and your universities will be notified.

You'll need to get a reference from someone if you're applying during your gap year so speak to your referee at your current school/college now about arranging that.

Universities don't have either the time or inclination to "hold grudges" about applicants reapplying or withdrawing while holding an offer. It wont affect your chances - what can affect your chances are if application numbers for that choice go up substantially between this year and next - in that case they may well be pickier about what grades they'll accept than this year. But that's very rare (and with all the changes to A levels coming through an applicant with grades already in the bag will be a very appealing prospect!).

Quick Reply