Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

At the moment I am in year 10 and I have been really thinking about A-levels and university and I just wanted to ask anyone who is currently doing a degree in geography/earth sciences degree, what are the best ways to prepare yourself?

I value all feedback and thank you!
    FLM3026
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by FLM3026)
    Hey guys!

At the moment I am in year 10 and I have been really thinking about A-levels and university and I just wanted to ask anyone who is currently doing a degree in geography/earth sciences degree, what are the best ways to prepare yourself?

FLM3026
    Write a decent personal statement and get good grades and you'll be fine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey guys!

FLM3026
    Best thing you can do right now is just read around and find out more about the subjects! You've got plenty of time so you don't need to think a lot about university right now although when it comes to choosing A Level subjects, you probably should consider whether you want to go down a geography route or an Earth Sciences route because certainly in the latter case, you'll want to take hard science A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Best thing you can do right now is just read around and find out more about the subjects! You've got plenty of time so you don't need to think a lot about university right now although when it comes to choosing A Level subjects, you probably should consider whether you want to go down a geography route or an Earth Sciences route because certainly in the latter case, you'll want to take hard science A Levels.
    Hello,

Thanks; I'm glad you mentioned the first tip because recently, I've been doing my research on the A-level reforms and the new subjects they'll be introducing in September 2017 (when I am going to be starting Sixth Form) and I've noticed that AQA will be introducing a few new STEM related subjects and at the moment, I've been considering doing the following A-levels:

- Biology (I'm also considering doing a biological sciences degree at Oxford)
    - Chemistry
    - Geography (obviously, if I'm considering a geography degree!)
    - Maths (going to take this at AS)

I'm also going to start doing a silver CREST Award, as I know universities look favorably upon such awards if you're considering a degree in relation to the sciences. However, personal statements are tough! Some of the example ones I've seen are really good and it's tough to condense all of what you want to say in under 4,000 characters or less!

Thanks,
    FLM3026

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Write a decent personal statement and get good grades and you'll be fine
    Hello,

I've been making a start on researching personal statements, UCAS etc., and I have to say, writing a personal statement is tough! At the moment, I'm just jotting down key words and phrases that just come to mind in relation to geography/biology/earth sciences and then I'm going to rearrange and edit it later in order to write a punchy opening paragraph.

My grades are fine at the moment; it's just a matter of keeping those up for year 11 and... GCSE exams! **Dun dun dun** And preparing and adapting for A-level studies because I've heard that there's a considerably large leap from GCSE to A-level.

Thanks,
    FLM3026
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hello,

Thanks; I'm glad you mentioned the first tip because recently, I've been doing my research on the A-level reforms and the new subjects they'll be introducing in September 2017 (when I am going to be starting Sixth Form) and I've noticed that AQA will be introducing a few new STEM related subjects and at the moment, I've been considering doing the following A-levels:

- Biology (I'm also considering doing a biological sciences degree at Oxford)
    - Chemistry
    - Geography (obviously, if I'm considering a geography degree!)
    - Maths (going to take this at AS)

I'm also going to start doing a silver CREST Award, as I know universities look favorably upon such awards if you're considering a degree in relation to the sciences. However, personal statements are tough! Some of the example ones I've seen are really good and it's tough to condense all of what you want to say in under 4,000 characters or less!

Thanks,
    FLM3026
    If possible, choose A Levels that are most suitable for the degree you want to do rather than for keeping options open for the sake of it. To be honest that selection of subjects is fine but if, for instance, you decided to go down an Earth Sciences route, it would be a good idea to take a full A Level in Maths (which you'd need if you wanted to do Earth Sciences at Oxford, for example) and swap Geography or Biology for Physics or Geology.

Doing a CREST award is a good idea (they won't care much about the award itself but the experience is potentially useful) . Don't worry about personal statements, you've got two years left before you need to start worrying about that! Just read around the subject

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.