Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,
    I'm starting university here for Aeronautical Engineering, I have just accepted my application today and all student finance has been submitted,
    need as much advice as possible on preparations, accommodation everything,

I am still in need to arrange accommodation so wondering where's the best place for first year, currently coming from Portsmouth so not to far away,

Also do drive so wondering the rules with cars etc.

Feel free to add or inbox me on Facebook, as much info the better and people to meet when there,
    facebook.com/LiammThomass

Thank you
    Liam Thomas
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Liam

You might find the information in our other thread useful. If you have just firmed your offer you should get an email from us about accommodation next week some time. In the meantime you can have a look at the info on our website and join our facebook househunting group.

Accommodation is a really personal choice, different people want and need different things from their accommodation. Some people really want to go into halls but others want to find a shared house, some want a private bathroom, others don't mind sharing if it costs a bit less. You need to decide which things are important to you regarding your accommodation and then work out which options are best for you on that basis.

Some things to think about would be

Halls or Private rental?

Ensuite? This is probably only an option in halls, very few private house-shares will have this option.

Catered? In halls we offer both catered and self-catered options

Big house or small? How many people would you be comfortable sharing with?

Location : How far are you prepared to travel? If you live anywhere along the Lewes Rd corridor, you will be close to the free uni shuttle bus and the Brighton Bus Company 25 route. Some area names to look out for if you are looking for private housing are Moulsecoomb, Lower Bevendean, Hanover, Hollingdean

I hope this is all useful, do make sure to look at our other thread because there's lots of info over there

See you in September!

Accommodation Team

(Original post by liam900)
    Hello there,
    I'm starting university here for Aeronautical Engineering, I have just accepted my application today and all student finance has been submitted,
    need as much advice as possible on preparations, accommodation everything,

I am still in need to arrange accommodation so wondering where's the best place for first year, currently coming from Portsmouth so not to far away,

Also do drive so wondering the rules with cars etc.

Feel free to add or inbox me on Facebook, as much info the better and people to meet when there,
    facebook.com/LiammThomass

Thank you
    Liam Thomas

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

UoB has incredibly limited parking and you are unlikely to be allowed to park on campus - everyone has to apply for a permit (which gives you the right to use a space if you can find one) and students have to demonstrate that car travel is essential before being considered for a permit. Parking in Brighton itself almost aIways requires a permit and spaces are very limited. In other words, you're very unlikely to be able to drive at Uni.

On a brighter note, public transport in Brighton is very good and there are buses every few minutes to the Uni (http://www.buses.co.uk/tickets/student.aspx), alternatively the campus is right on top of Moulsecoomb train station.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.