Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are my definitions right? i keep getting different definitions from different sources

Homologous series: a group of organic compounds that have the same general formula, similar chemical properties, same functional group, and physical properties that gradually change from one member to the next.
    Hydrocarbons: compounds that contain hydrogen and carbon atoms only.
    Saturated: hydrocarbons that have single carbon to carbon bonds.
    Unsaturated: hydrocarbons that have one carbon to carbon double bond.
    Isomerism: forming isomers.

What is the definition of 'general formula'?
    Also i know that alcohol have the functional group -OH, and alkenes have the carbon to carbon double bond, but what is the functional group for alkanes?

ReputationRep:
    Homologous series: a group of organic compounds that have the same general formula, similar chemical properties, same functional group, and physical properties that gradually change from one member to the next.
    Saturated: hydrocarbons that have single bonds only.
    Unsaturated: hydrocarbons that have one carbon to carbon double bond only.
    Isomerism: Same molecular formula, but different structural formula

General formula: a type of empirical formula that represents the composition of any member of an entire class of compounds.

Functional group: Alkane - C-C single bond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ranadosa)
    Are my definitions right? i keep getting different definitions from different sources

Homologous series: a group of organic compounds that have the same general formula, exhibit similar chemical properties, have the same functional group, (and physical properties that gradually change from one member to the next.- I wouldn't say this because it's not true for larger carbon alkanes like sextane and decane but maybe it's okay for your spec) and all differ by a CH2 unit.

Saturated: hydrocarbons that have single carbon to carbon bonds( I would take out the carbon to carbon single bond thing because carboxylic acids and alcohols can also be saturated)

Unsaturated: hydrocarbons that have one carbon to carbon double bond.

Isomerism: forming isomers( certain compounds exist in different forms because of different arrangements of their atoms )

What is the definition of 'general formula'? - a formula which is applicable to any compound in a homologous series.

Also i know that alcohol have the functional group -O-H, and alkenes have the carbon to carbon double bond, but what is the functional group for alkanes? Alkanes don't have a functional group - this is why they are so non reactive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your homologos ones not right it should be Homologous series: a group of organic compounds that have the same general formula, similar chemical properties, same functional group, and physical properties vary predictably, consecutive members differ by CH2

ReputationRep:
    The actual definition of a homologous series is - a series of compounds with the same functional group and that with each successive entry, they vary by a CH2. On OCR, the word successive is underlined, not sure for other exam boards. Everything else mentioned is a characteristic of a homologous series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zx12r1)
    Your homologos ones not right it should be Homologous series: a group of organic compounds that have the same general formula, similar chemical properties, same functional group, and physical properties vary predictably, consecutive members differ by CH2
    alright thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    The actual definition of a homologous series is - a series of compounds with the same functional group and that with each successive entry, they vary by a CH2. On OCR, the word successive is underlined, not sure for other exam boards. Everything else mentioned is a characteristic of a homologous series.
    thanks! i'll check with the past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vigster)
    Saturated: hydrocarbons that have single bonds only.
    Unsaturated: hydrocarbons that have one carbon to carbon double bond only.
    Isomerism: Same molecular formula, but different structural formula

General formula: a type of empirical formula that represents the composition of any member of an entire class of compounds.

Functional group: Alkane - C-C single bond
    thanks! helped a lot

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.