Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So during transcription in the nucleus, the DNA strand is 'unzipped' so the sequence of complementary bases can be copied and mRNA taken out of the nucleus and onto a ribosome. Is it DNA helicase which break the hydrogen bonds within the DNA or is it RNA polymerase? I though it was DNA helicase which break the hydrogen bonds/ or unzip, and the RNA polymerase which gather all the components to form the mRNA strand. Is this right, and please correct anything I've gotten wrong.

ALSO, what is the difference between the operator gene and the promoter region? Is it that: the repressor molecule attaches to the operator gene to prevent the RNA polymerase binding, but if the repressor molecule is absent, the promoter region is where the RNA polymerase will bind? Again please correct anything which is wrong, this kinda confuses me

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefruit)
    So during transcription in the nucleus, the DNA strand is 'unzipped' so the sequence of complementary bases can be copied and mRNA taken out of the nucleus and onto a ribosome. Is it DNA helicase which break the hydrogen bonds within the DNA or is it RNA polymerase? I though it was DNA helicase which break the hydrogen bonds/ or unzip, and the RNA polymerase which gather all the components to form the mRNA strand. Is this right, and please correct anything I've gotten wrong.

ALSO, what is the difference between the operator gene and the promoter region? Is it that: the repressor molecule attaches to the operator gene to prevent the RNA polymerase binding, but if the repressor molecule is absent, the promoter region is where the RNA polymerase will bind? Again please correct anything which is wrong, this kinda confuses me

Thank you
    DNA helicase breaks the hydrogen bonds between the complementary nitrogenous base pairs.
    RNA polymerase is involved in the formation of the mRNA strand i.e. the sugar phosphate backbone, it joins the nucleotides together.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.