Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf

Q12) How can z be transformed onto a full circle? The circle equation I get but doesn't it have to satisfy 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0?

ReputationRep:
    Zacken TeeEm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    Zacken TeeEm
    Can you be more specific? I don't fully understand your question. Where does 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0 come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Can you be more specific? I don't fully understand your question. Where does 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0 come from?
    So instead of treating arg(z) = pi/4 as x + xi the MS suggested, I did it the argument way and got arg (1 - wi) - arg (w -1) = pi/4, which is a circle that satisfies mod w = 1, however only within the ranges I posted above. Surely the MS method is wrong as it treats arg (z) = pi/4 as x + xi, which is only true for values in the positive quadrant.. hope that makes more sense..?

ReputationRep:
    So instead of treating arg(z) = pi/4 as x + xi the MS suggested, I did it the argument way and got arg (1 - wi) - arg (w -1) = pi/4, which is a circle that satisfies mod w = 1, however only within the ranges I posted above. Surely the MS method is wrong as it treats arg (z) = pi/4 as x + xi, which is only true for values in the positive quadrant.. hope that makes more sense..?
    But arg(z) = pi/4 is only values in the positive x and y quadrant. That's why it's called a half-line.

Anyways, with your method, why does arg(1-wi) - arg(w-1) bring up the ranges that you specified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    But arg(z) = pi/4 is only values in the positive x and y quadrant. That's why it's called a half-line.

Anyways, with your method, why does arg(1-wi) - arg(w-1) bring up the ranges that you specified?
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  498.7 KB

Does that help?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  498.7 KB

Does that help?
    Question doesn't say the image of the given half line is the circle, only that the image of the half line lies on the circle - this doesn't imply the entire circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Question doesn't say the image of the given half line is the circle, only that the image of the half line lies on the circle - this doesn't imply the entire circle.
    I realise that, but am I right in saying that the complex numbers on arg(z) = pi/4 can only be mapped onto those in the shaded region I previously specified?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I realise that, but am I right in saying that the complex numbers on arg(z) = pi/4 can only be mapped onto those in the shaded region I previously specified?
    Yes, it's just the lower right quadrant, but it's the part of the circle only, not any area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Yes, it's just the lower right quadrant, but it's the part of the circle only, not any area.
    Thank you for your help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.