Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I'm struggling but will hopefully get a 'B' in GCSE maths, is it worth me even considering A-Level Maths? I don't want to do it but it sounds like I need it to get into a PPE course at Uni.

I'm in my exam season for GCSE's currently.

ReputationRep:
    Normally people say you should atleast get an A or an A* at GCSE maths to look into A level maths
    But never lose hope, i have a friend that was predicted a D/E for GCSE maths
    But he worked really hard and got a B at gcse
    Now he's doing A level maths and aiming to get an A at AS.
    Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    This depends - how good is your teacher at the moment? At GCSE, I had a very nice teacher, but we had maybe three lessons in the two years because he always completely ignored us. When it came to exams, I had to learn everything by myself but ended up getting two As (it was a twin GCSE), one of which I retook after getting a B.

I am now doing A-level Maths after joining the course a month late and having learned nothing at GCSE, and my teacher is pushing me to do Further Maths next year (which I will definitely do), and possibly a Maths degree. I usually get about 68/72 on papers, and I'm confident that I'll get an A this year.

Basically, if you think you're not doing very well because you're not being taught very well, DO consider A-level Maths, because it might all turn around.
    However, if you have a decent teacher but are still struggling, you can always do your absolute best now, then take Maths as a 5th A-level next year and drop it if you're struggling.

All in all, I'm personally finding A-level maths easier than GCSE, but, again, that's probably because of the teacher thing.

If you're still unsure, maybe speak to your teachers to see if it's worth trying.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just get that B and spend your summer working at your algebra. All you need for A Level maths is a strong algebra base and after that it'll becomeuch easier, i promise.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think.. pick it, study ahead in the summer and see how you find the units, and then drop it/change if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. So should I pick it as my fifth A-level or should I pick it as my 4th as I was planning to do. I'll just throw in Eng lit or Government & Politics if it would be better to do it as my fifth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -GIA-)
    Thanks for the replies. So should I pick it as my fifth A-level or should I pick it as my 4th as I was planning to do. I'll just throw in Eng lit or Government & Politics if it would be better to do it as my fifth.
    If you're struggling at GCSE, I wouldn't suggest any more than 4 A Levels. You literally need only 3 to get into pretty much any university. 5 will be too much to handle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivtek)
    If you're struggling at GCSE, I wouldn't suggest any more than 4 A Levels. You literally need only 3 to get into pretty much any university. 5 will be too much to handle.
    Good point. So if I get the 'B' I'll pick Eng Lang, Maths, History and Economics. Yeah that seems good.

Ok thanks again everybody, I'm just gonna get back to revising for that B now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -GIA-)
    Good point. So if I get the 'B' I'll pick Eng Lang, Maths, History and Economics. Yeah that seems good.

Ok thanks again everybody, I'm just gonna get back to revising for that B now.
    Good luck. If you need any help, PM me! I'm a GCSE maths tutor/mentor at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivtek)
    Good luck. If you need any help, PM me! I'm a GCSE maths tutor/mentor at my school.
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my AS year doing maths, I've struggled with M1 all year ( combination of stupidity and a bad teacher). I worked really hard for the test and reckon I'm still around the A/B boundary, I'm wanting an A. Does anyone with the experience recommend doing S1 or D1 (self taught) instead of M2 ( which I'm not very keen on doing)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.