Should dogs be breed to be Vegetarian and further..

Watch
FredOrJohn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Should all wild animals such as Lions and Tigers be breed to be vegetarian so that they can live peacefully with mankind and other animals.

Thus, perhaps, creating a HUGE expansion of wild life...

What are your views?
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stupid idea. Many animals are vegetarian and yet aggressive and would be happy to maul us or other animals, Some would not even be able to survive as veggies
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Stupid idea. Many animals are vegetarian and yet aggressive and would be happy to maul us or other animals, Some would not even be able to survive as veggies
you do know that big teeth and claws can be breed out too?

Just look at the huge variation in dog shapes and sizes over just a generation or two...
and yes Dogs, even now , can be vegetarian (not vegan yet)
Ordo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some animals like tiger and lions need mainly protein from animals for building muscles. Also taking in the vitamins and minerals that animal has eaten. If they only eat plant based food, there will be less competition and can affect the natural ecosystem.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FredOrJohn)
Should all wild animals such as Lions and Tigers be breed to be vegetarian so that they can live peacefully with mankind and other animals.

What are your views?
Logistics of doing that aside, a planet full of herbivores and no predators to control their numbers, would reproduce like wildfire and very quickly strip the world bare of it's vegetation. Then we would be truly ****ed.

So, no. It's a stupid idea.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ordo)
Some animals like tiger and lions need protein from animals for building muscles. if they only eat plant based food, there will be less competition and can affect the natural balanced ecosystem.
that ecosystem no longer exists hence the point of the thread, a way to stop the extinction - the other viable option.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wōden)
Logistics of doing that aside, a planet full of herbivores and no predators to control their numbers, would reproduce like wildfire and very quickly strip the world bare of it's vegetation. Then we would be truly ****ed.

So, no. It's a stupid idea.
Not so - humans cull like always. We are not veggie .
Wōden
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not so - humans cull like always. We are not veggie .
So instead of needing to cull just a few troublesome species like deer, rabbit etc, as we do currently, in your utopia, humans would need to cull every single species of animal in order to make up for the lack of natural predators and maintain the balance?

Yeah, that's much more peaceful.....
Ordo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that ecosystem no longer exists hence the point of the thread, a way to stop the extinction - the other viable option.

Ecosystems do exist. Breeding programs, conservation, etc. - protecting endangered animals. They need right diet. So breeding them eating only vegetarian meals is not an option.
Wōden
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course it does. You wouldn't be alive right now if it didn't.
Copperknickers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What are your views?
Firstly, there wouldn't be an expansion of wildlife, the ecosystem needs predators. Without predators it collapses due to overpopulation of prey species wiping out resources. Exhibit A - homo sapiens used to be a prey species for ice age predators, but we killed them all, and are now free to strip the planet bare.

Secondly, selectively breeding cats to be vegetarian would require starving millions of cats to death, since they are obligate carnivores so only feeding them vegetables causes them major health problems. That would be until we find one with a genetic mutation that allows it to survive on a vegetarian diet. Although realistically that will probably not be possible, in which case we'll just have to breed the cats which take the longest to starve to death. Also, breeding tigers would require horrific cruelty, since unless you plan on keeping them in realistic 10 mile-squared enclosures they would have to be kept in small pens near other tigers, causing them untold stress and inhibiting all their natural behaviours. Not to mention all the large animals you'd need to kill to feed them.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That would be an environmental catastrophe, animals would quickly destroy all surrounding edible vegetation and thus wipe themselves and basically all advanced life out. Or we'd have to be culling every species in incredibly high numbers....not sure what we'd do with the bodies, if we can't eat them due to some moral issue can be burn them as biomass?
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Copperknickers)
Firstly, there wouldn't be an expansion of wildlife, the ecosystem needs predators. Without predators it collapses due to overpopulation of prey species wiping out resources. Exhibit A - homo sapiens used to be a prey species for ice age predators, but we killed them all, and are now free to strip the planet bare.

Secondly, selectively breeding cats to be vegetarian would require starving millions of cats to death, since they are obligate carnivores so only feeding them vegetables causes them major health problems. That would be until we find one with a genetic mutation that allows it to survive on a vegetarian diet. Although realistically that will probably not be possible, in which case we'll just have to breed the cats which take the longest to starve to death. Also, breeding tigers would require horrific cruelty, since unless you plan on keeping them in realistic 10 mile-squared enclosures they would have to be kept in small pens near other tigers, causing them untold stress and inhibiting all their natural behaviours. Not to mention all the large animals you'd need to kill to feed them.
I don't think you understand.
Tigers are nearly extinct.
Lions are also in serious trouble
http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...n-decline-map/

Since the 1940s, when lions numbered an estimated 450,000, lion populations have blinked out across the continent. Now they may total as few as 20,000 animals.

YOu lot are living in the 1940s.
Just look around and smell the coffee, nature is over.
Copperknickers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you understand.
Tigers are nearly extinct.
Lions are also in serious trouble
http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...n-decline-map/

Since the 1940s, when lions numbered an estimated 450,000, lion populations have blinked out across the continent. Now they may total as few as 20,000 animals.

YOu lot are living in the 1940s.
Just look around and smell the coffee, nature is over.
So because lions are going extinct, you want to completely destroy the entire ecosystem of Central Africa and Siberia? Those are the only places where natural ecosystems with large predators are still going strong.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
So because lions are going extinct, you want to completely destroy the entire ecosystem of Central Africa and Siberia? Those are the only places where natural ecosystems with large predators are still going strong.
yeah pigs fly
Copperknickers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah pigs fly
Well I can't argue with that.
Konahagakure
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What are your views?
Nope that will never happen. It would also destroy the ecosystem and food chains as predators are required to keep prey populations under control.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
Well I can't argue with that.
3,000 tigers left and falling
http://voices.nationalgeographic.com...d-wild-tigers/
Cremated_Spatula
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What are your views?
Dogs should be bred to be fed by their own farts.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
I thought all non-humans animals were already vegans; that, indeed, they lived off rainbow magic, not even needing to hurt vegetation; and that only those nasty, evil, humans killed other animals and other life forms.

Was I wrong???
Idiot.
Difference is we have the choice not to eat meat and still survive as easily, animals don't have the freedom of choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads