Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I know this thread shouldn't be used instead of a GP visit but it's exams and I don't really want to be wasting study time (or whether there actually is any point - this may all be nothing).
    Also if you don't like descriptions of blood and periods I wouldn't read this hah.

First my periods have been weirdly irregular and frequent. Late April (in the twenties - 24th?) I got my period, at it's predicted time, but it was weirdly light (dry & brown :|). I shrugged it off, then on the 9th ish, about 15 days before I was due next I had the heaviest week of period ever. Now a few days ago (30th?) I've had an even heavier one (wayy heavier than they ever have been). So basically 3 periods in the space of about 45 days...
    I've also had about 6-8 unexplainable bruises appear, mainly on my thighs, waist and top arm bit, and one that I know how I did but I don't normally bruise any way near that easily. I haven't been anywhere - it's study leave I've been sat on my ass all day.
    I've also been abnormally tired (but who hasn't it's exams) and about 40% of the time when I stand up I get head rush (blood loss???).
    I've also lost weight but that was completely planned I know why that's happened.

If you read all that - thank you. Is it worth booking an appointment with a GP? Should I wait it out or is it probably just nothing and me overreacting?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert or anything, but I would give them a visit about your period at least... I know at my GPs they do phone triage beforehand so if they think you need an appointment they'll give you one after talking to you on the phone (that's for same day appointments).
    I think it's better to be safe, because even if it's nothing it'll give you peace of mind. You can always take some revision with you for the waiting room?
    Good luck whatever you choose :-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this thread shouldn't be used instead of a GP visit but it's exams and I don't really want to be wasting study time (or whether there actually is any point - this may all be nothing).
    Also if you don't like descriptions of blood and periods I wouldn't read this hah.

First my periods have been weirdly irregular and frequent. Late April (in the twenties - 24th?) I got my period, at it's predicted time, but it was weirdly light (dry & brown :|). I shrugged it off, then on the 9th ish, about 15 days before I was due next I had the heaviest week of period ever. Now a few days ago (30th?) I've had an even heavier one (wayy heavier than they ever have been). So basically 3 periods in the space of about 45 days...
    I've also had about 6-8 unexplainable bruises appear, mainly on my thighs, waist and top arm bit, and one that I know how I did but I don't normally bruise any way near that easily. I haven't been anywhere - it's study leave I've been sat on my ass all day.
    I've also been abnormally tired (but who hasn't it's exams) and about 40% of the time when I stand up I get head rush (blood loss???).
    I've also lost weight but that was completely planned I know why that's happened.

If you read all that - thank you. Is it worth booking an appointment with a GP? Should I wait it out or is it probably just nothing and me overreacting?
    Thanks
    It's possible for stress to mess with periods and also for it to make you feel tired etc. Usually it will just pass a while after the stressful thing is over. For that sort of thing I tend to say it's worth seeing a doctor just to be sure but it's not normally something to worry about.
    The bruising is the more concerning part and it's mostly because of that I would suggest seeing a GP. It could just be you've had some trauma you can't remember, but unexplained bruising can be an important sign that something is wrong.
    If you're unsure about when to see somebody/ who to see you can call 111. They can't give any proper medical advice but can tell you who to see and when and can also book appointments with out of hours doctors if nessesary.

Hope it's nothing but do get it checked
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks
    It's definitely worth seeing your GP regarding this, there are many potential causes of these sorts of symptoms and it's good to get the more serious ones ruled out, just for your own peace of mind. For the sake of a 10 minute appointment it's important that you get this seen to, in particular getting a head rush as this could be indicative of postural hypotension (blood pressure dropping when you stand) which needs resolving if this is the case as it can make you dizzy, lightheaded and faint. It could quite easily be nothing, and simply due to stress of exams, which tends to make any symptoms worse, but clearly this is worrying you and you are having several issues so it's best to get them checked out.You will probably need a blood test, and to get your blood pressure taken as the first line of testing. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, resting plenty (don't stay up all night revising!) and eating plenty of fruit and vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    Cant profess to be an expert but id go out on a limb and say its unlikely. Worth visiting your GP about though as its better safe than sorry but that google searches will almost always result in extra and probably unwarrented worry.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to post on an old thread but I'm freaking the **** out again - the may 30th period was the last time I had one (2 and a half months ago). I never saw a gp because my mum just put it down to exam stress and told me to shut up hah but exams are well over I don't know what to do? Is this normal after having loads of periods to skip loads? Am I just making a big deal over nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anaemia possibly although I'm not a gp

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.