Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I eat foods that have a lot of sugar (chocolate, sweets, fudge, syrup) I get very lightheaded, woozy, get a bad headache, my pulse races and I find breathing harder (like an anxious breathing difficulty). This happens even when I eat small amounts of those foods so the simple answer is don't eat them....no matter how delicious they may be. Anyway, my initial thought was that they were messing with my blood sugar a lot which was causing the symptoms however my Dad is diabetic so we have a blood glucose testing device and I've tested my blood glucose level at resting point, after meals and after consuming sugary foods once the symptoms have kicked in and it's been around 20 minutes (the recommended time between eating and testing). My blood glucose levels are very healthy, slap bang in the middle of the ideal range so there's no issue there. This isn't a huge life destroying issue or anything but it is something I'm curious about- all the research I've done talks about blood sugar, but it's not that so any ideas as to what could cause that reaction??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PastaMonster)
    When I eat foods that have a lot of sugar (chocolate, sweets, fudge, syrup) I get very lightheaded, woozy, get a bad headache, my pulse races and I find breathing harder (like an anxious breathing difficulty). This happens even when I eat small amounts of those foods so the simple answer is don't eat them....no matter how delicious they may be. Anyway, my initial thought was that they were messing with my blood sugar a lot which was causing the symptoms however my Dad is diabetic so we have a blood glucose testing device and I've tested my blood glucose level at resting point, after meals and after consuming sugary foods once the symptoms have kicked in and it's been around 20 minutes (the recommended time between eating and testing). My blood glucose levels are very healthy, slap bang in the middle of the ideal range so there's no issue there. This isn't a huge life destroying issue or anything but it is something I'm curious about- all the research I've done talks about blood sugar, but it's not that so any ideas as to what could cause that reaction??
    Go to the doctors asap, probably just your body very alert to sugar and kind of over reacting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.