The Student Room Group

It's okay to marry your first cousin. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
no my cousins are like my own siblings
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Why is incest wrong? I'm not saying it's not, I'm just interested to hear you explain it.

Because people are ****ing morons and think because they find something disgusting then nobody (even consentng adults) should be able to do it.

These same people will probably cry about homophobes.

Hypocrits
Hmmm I think it's ok (*dodges bullets)

I personally won't but I'm with others that want to.

We can't choose who we fall in love with :lovie:
Reply 83
Am i the only one who sees his first cousins who her females like my sisters...
Why would you marry your sister i swear that like incest or something and i swear that Haraam.
Astagfurallah
If they're not having kids, then they can go for it. I won't judge them.

If they are having kids, then I would judge them a bit, but if statistics can definitely prove that the chance of defects is low(5% isn't low enough), then I won't judge them much.

I don't really get why people would want to marry their first cousins though. There are billions of people in the world. Just reach out a bit. It's good to marry into different families, so that you have more connections
No thanks
It is why communities in the UK that commonly practice it have the highest inherited genetic disabilities.
Reply 87
Original post by cosmic angel
That's right. But the argument that the status quo should dictate morality sounds equally poor to me.

That's a bit of a generalisation, we are only talking about marriage here. Unless you're religious then marriage is a social concept so is of course affected by society's views at the time. And right now it is hypocritical for someone to say certain people should get married and others shouldn't when both are equal under the eyes of the law.

If you or anyone else thinks something different then feel free to put a valid argument across.
Marrying your first cousin is not okay to me and not sure how many would its okay. Ask the people in your location if they think its okay to marry their first cousin and see what they'll say. I do not know what country you live in where you think its okay to marry your first cousin, and you know your "evidence" of healthy children is wrong when you have two people who both blood related having children with such a small gene pool, and more likely to have birth defects. So, if something happened in the past its justification to do it in the present? Should we all apply to every situation because wasn't it prefect legal to have children marry adults?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmileyVibe
Marrying your first cousin is not okay to me and not sure how many would its okay. Ask the people in your location if they think its okay to marry their first cousin and see what they'll say. I do not know what country you live in where you think its okay to marry your first cousin, and you know your "evidence" of healthy children is wrong when you have two people who both blood related having children with such a small gene pool, and more likely to have birth defects. So, if something happened in the past its justification to do it in the present? Should we all apply to every situation because wasn't it prefect legal to have children marry adults?

How is acceptance of this different to homosexuality?
Reply 90
My family thinks it's fine, I don't find it disgusting, but I would still marry someone who is completely unrelated to me.
Original post by donutellme
How is acceptance of this different to homosexuality?

We'll, let's see... we're talking about first cousin marriage which is specific and not incest in general. Homosexuality or the LGBT is supported by schools, and taught in classes. First cousin marriage usually leads to children which end up more likely for diseases and birth defects. A homosexual couple cannot produce children together and if we're taking about two same sex couples from different families then it isn't incest. So it depends on what the situation of homosexuality you're referring. Incest same sex couple or non incest same sex couple?
Original post by SmileyVibe
We'll, let's see... we're talking about first cousin marriage which is specific and not incest in general. Homosexuality or the LGBT is supported by schools, and taught in classes. First cousin marriage usually leads to children which end up more likely for diseases and birth defects. A homosexual couple cannot produce children together and if we're taking about two same sex couples from different families then it isn't incest. So it depends on what the situation of homosexuality you're referring. Incest same sex couple or non incest same sex couple?

Both. The children argument doesnt really hold as it would only manifest itself over generations. Besides, not all couples have children.
That's a straight NO from me. My cousins are like my brothers. Can't even imagine getting married to them, ew. :colonhash:
Original post by TimeTravel_0
Because you have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyways, the Bible condemns incest - Read Levithicus 18:9

If you say that incest is not wrong, then all kinds of other sexually immoral acts could be considered legal. It creates a slippery slope.

Didn't Cain and/or Abel sleep with Eve right there in Genesis?
Reply 95
Original post by cosmic angel
Hello TSR, time for something a bit controversial today.

The science shows that for the children born to first cousins, the risk of genetic defects is no more than the risk of a woman over the age of 40 having a baby. It is around 1.7-2% higher than the average risk for non-cousin couples. This is double the average risk, but because it is so low in the first place, scientists contend that it is still insignificant.

Also, around 80% of all marriages throughout history were probably between second cousins or closer, according to anthropology professor Robin Fox.

Marriages to first cousins are stigmatized in UK society, but with the facts above I argue that they should become socially acceptable, and that the stigmatization of the practice of marrying your first cousin is based more on prejudice than on any scientific proof that it it causes harm. Discuss.

Sources:
News articles
(1) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/theres-nothing-wrong-with-cousins-getting-married-scientists-say-1210072.html
Journal articles
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2605922/#pbio-0060320-b013
(3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26141656

This is a serious thread. The views presented here are genuinely supported by myself.

The kids may turn out alright but that doesn't change the fact that if you've married your cousin you're incestuous and probably have a few screws loose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending