Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always had such a passion for history, Growing up i've alway been fasinated by it. When i went to high school i obviously got taught it and like i predicted i again really enjoyed it. But in then in year 8 I moved to a private school which unfortuanely didnt let me take it (not because of me, the school didn't offer the course), I'm leaving my High school with good grades, but i still would LOVE to study history.

(If it helps a little character analysis :P)- I am extremely hard working, and generally a good Student.

For those of you who studied History for GCSE and A-Level, do you apply things to learnt at GCSE to your A-Level? is any of the course content similer? I REALY NEED HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who didn't do GCSE but did history for a level, and there been predicted As. So I'd say no, you don't need GCSE - the examiners are looking for different things and you get taught how to write the essays. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need to have done GCSE History to do it at A level. Things that you learn at GCSE (such as comparing and evaluating sources) are taught at A level anyway. As long as you're good at English and writing essays you will be fine. I don't think doing GCSE History has helped me in any way with my A level course!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE history gave 0 help to me for A-level history, probably made it worse, since you use no skills from GCSE in A-level history (might be due to the fact i changed exm boards). all you need to know is PEE, for AS. its essay based, and all you need to know beforehand is how to write an essay and fast. (youll get some practice)

you dont need GCSE history to do A-level history.though a-level history is Dull.... more about learning for an exam than learning history. you honestly lose mark if all you do is talk about history in some exam bords. Some school do want GCSE history, to do A-level, so see if you can hack it, but course wise its not needed in any shape or form, in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oiseaux)
    You don't really need to have done GCSE History to do it at A level. Things that you learn at GCSE (such as comparing and evaluating sources) are taught at A level anyway. As long as you're good at English and writing essays you will be fine. I don't think doing GCSE History has helped me in any way with my A level course!
    Ahhh! Okay thanks this has really helped 👍🏻

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.