Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i've never studied Law before at GCSE level, But the subject is so fascinating and it's something i really want to pursue career wise. I'm planing on taking AQA A-Level Law to get a solid understanding and to make sure this is definatly something i want. But I have just found out through research that universities like Oxford dont like students to have the A-Level? Oxford isn't my top choice Uni, but im just interested to know why?

And why does Cambridge allow it (my top choice) and oxford doesn't? Even though Cambridge is ranked No.1 University to study Law?

ReputationRep:
    Because it gives students misconceptions and a misunderstanding as to what studying Law at university it really like. A lot of students studying Law at university never studied law at GCSE or A-level, because you don't need to.

I know a girl who does Law at Oxford and she did Maths, English, Physics and History at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    The content of law A-level is generally considered to be repeated in the first few modules of law at university, making it unnecessary to study beforehand

Some also consider it to be a softer subject compared to History, English Lit etc that would be more academically challenging + beneficial
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jade.andrews2)
    Okay so i've never studied Law before at GCSE level, But the subject is so fascinating and it's something i really want to pursue career wise. I'm planing on taking AQA A-Level Law to get a solid understanding and to make sure this is definatly something i want. But I have just found out through research that universities like Oxford dont like students to have the A-Level? Oxford isn't my top choice Uni, but im just interested to know why?

And why does Cambridge allow it (my top choice) and oxford doesn't? Even though Cambridge is ranked No.1 University to study Law?
    I don't think it's so much not wanting you to have Law, as thinking that other ('traditional' subjects are more useful. If you look at the entry criteria, they make it very clear that existing knowledge of Law isn't an entry criterion. They're looking for the people who they believe have the most potential. Obviously you should make an informed decision about the subject before you decide to study it but I think Oxford is of the opinion that studying A Level Law isn't the best way of doing this - they have suggested reading lists on their website. They think that more traditional A Levels give you a better foundation for their course. If you really want to take Law at A Level though though, go ahead. I don't think they'd count it against you as long as the rest of your subjects are facilitating.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't want to pay out £9,000 a year for a degree I dispise! Thank you all, for your advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.