Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To elaborate on the title I am about to graduate from Surrey with most likely a 2:2 in Financial Maths and I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of what to do. To be completely honest I regret taking the course, as I have never liked most of the Maths modules, although the Economics/Finance modules I have done within the course I have got 2:1 or Firsts in. Should I compensate for my 2:2 by doing a Masters in Economics & Finance? Or will the masters become redundant as the 2:2 would always be a 'stain' on my CV? Or should I take the alternative route and try to get a job and work from the ground up? Any comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RGL)
    To elaborate on the title I am about to graduate from Surrey with most likely a 2:2 in Financial Maths and I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of what to do. To be completely honest I regret taking the course, as I have never liked most of the Maths modules, although the Economics/Finance modules I have done within the course I have got 2:1 or Firsts in. Should I compensate for my 2:2 by doing a Masters in Economics & Finance? Or will the masters become redundant as the 2:2 would always be a 'stain' on my CV? Or should I take the alternative route and try to get a job and work from the ground up? Any comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
    There's nothing wrong with a 2:2. Nobody has ever closed a door in my face because of it. Your subject is also impressive. People training to teach maths in further (and probably secondary) education can get impressive bursaries with a 2:2 for example.

What you really need to do is consider what it is you want to do in order that you can make an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Immediately doing a Masters to try to 'bump-up' a 2.2 is probably a waste of time and money.

Firstly, you'll still be a graduate with no work experience. Also a Masters doesnt 'correct' a 2.2 as far as any competitive recruitment scheme that actually wanted a 2i or a First is concerned. However, the vast majority of graduates don't even apply to these schemes, no mater what their degree result was so dont let that bother you.

Go and get a job. Anything that you can do and that interests you. It doesnt need to be highly paid or 'status', just get a job, build your CV and get going on 'life'. As above, you have a degree so use it. Once you have a few years of employment on your CV no-one will even glance at the 2.2 because your work life will tell them far more than that does. You might decide then that a Masters is worth doing because it might then take your career in a different direction or you've found an area that you want to study in more depth.

So.... apply for lots of jobs (not necessarily directly connected to your degree), think about doing some voluntary work to build your 'after Uni' experience : https://www.charityjob.co.uk/volunteer-jobs and be optimistic - a 2.2 is not giong to determine where life takes you!

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is far more important than degree classification.

2:2 + work experience > 1st with no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    There's nothing wrong with a 2:2. Nobody has ever closed a door in my face because of it. Your subject is also impressive. People training to teach maths in further (and probably secondary) education can get impressive bursaries with a 2:2 for example.

What you really need to do is consider what it is you want to do in order that you can make an informed decision.
    Getting a 2.2 isn't the end of the world, but to say that nobody will close a door in your face is stretching the truth a bit - most graduate schemes filter out candidates that don't have a 2.1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Getting a 2.2 isn't the end of the world, but to say that nobody will close a door in your face is stretching the truth a bit - most graduate schemes filter out candidates that don't have a 2.1
    I've never gone for a graduate scheme. There's a wealth of opportunities outside the obvious.

That said, a 2:2 has been considered enough for masters and teaching course applications I've made.

Life goes on with a 2:2 because that's all it can do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.