Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    long story short i was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia and i still haven't filled in any forms to say i am dropping out of uni. mostly because i would like to return in september 2017 to give me enough time to get myself together. i havent had any contact with my personal tutor since maybe january, partly because they were on sick and partly because i have been unwell. my care-coordinator is willing to help me with sorting this out but i don't know who i have to go to this issue with. is it my personal tutor or is it student union. and what about the student loan too? i imagine i will have to give my last installment back due to not attending since mid march. i guess i am just wondering if anyone who has done this before has any advice as to what to do and how to go about it.

thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Did you just leave without telling anyone? What about lctures etc?
    You need to contact your tutor and department to notify them of what has happened. You need to sipport that with a Drs note and possibly any mental health worker/counselor who you have been seeing.
    You say you have a care co ordinator? is that with the Uni or you are at home?
    You should also give them an idea of what the issue was and the fact you are being treated.
    You need to let them know you would like to return in 2017 to repeat the year again.
    Once the department has signed off then check of if you need to officially leave from admissions.
    Finally let SFE know, they will wnat some money back as overpayment, but you should let them know the reason as its a possible extenuating circs reason, so it doesnt count as one of your funded years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The disability services at uni should be able to advise you.

ReputationRep:
    You get a grace year with student finance to cover one year of resit. It means you will owe more overall but it falls under regular loans rules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Did you just leave without telling anyone? What about lctures etc?
    You need to contact your tutor and department to notify them of what has happened. You need to sipport that with a Drs note and possibly any mental health worker/counselor who you have been seeing.
    You say you have a care co ordinator? is that with the Uni or you are at home?
    You should also give them an idea of what the issue was and the fact you are being treated.
    You need to let them know you would like to return in 2017 to repeat the year again.
    Once the department has signed off then check of if you need to officially leave from admissions.
    Finally let SFE know, they will wnat some money back as overpayment, but you should let them know the reason as its a possible extenuating circs reason, so it doesnt count as one of your funded years.
    i got an email asking to go for review as my attendance had been poor and told them i had been diagnosed and they directed me to some withdrawal forms but i haven't done anything about it yet so i guess they know something is wrong. the care coordinator is at home not with the uni but i have only just met with them for the first time and things arent in full swing yet. also, my personal tutor thought i seemed unwell in october/november and i went to a counselling session at uni but stopped going because i didn't feel it helped. there was a long wait for an appointment and by the time it came around i felt a bit better so they thought i wasn't that unwell i think

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    The disability services at uni should be able to advise you.
    thank you i will contact them

(Original post by ~Tara~)
    You get a grace year with student finance to cover one year of resit. It means you will owe more overall but it falls under regular loans rules
    thanks that is good to know

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.