Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In trouble with the police regarding pepper spray... Watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    So long story short;

    several years ago i got a couple of cans in the states not knowing it was even illegal here and theyve essentially just sat in my desk since then, i have known theyre illegal now but didnt know they were considered the same catagory as a machine pistol or C4 etc. not to mention i was rather nervous about disposing of them as if i were caught carrying them to a disposal site id be screwed and if i put them in my trash it could go off in the rubbish truck and get the bin man [pressurized after all]
    anyway due to something unrelated my place ws serched and the police found them and are charging me despite me having no priors or any kind of history of violence or anything...
    Does anyone know what i should expect to get in court [magistrates] e.g. jail/fine/community work etc.?
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    You need to speak to your solicitor.
    You also need to see what they are charging you with.

    It looks like a charge under S5(1)b of the Firearms Act 1968.
    The offence is possession or purchase, both of which you have done.

    It doesnt make any difference in charging you, criminal record or not. You appear to have commited the offence.
    It's an offence triable either way, so you can let magistrates deal with it or go to crown court for jury trual. Its hard to see how you can deny the charge though.
    Magistrates can give you up to 6 months, a fine or CS. Talk to your solicitor.


    Cant say im convinced of the dispisal argument. They are obviously not considered with the same level of seriousness as C4 and machine pistols.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.