inorganic chemistry Watch

alyoan tariq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which statement is most likely to be true for astatine, which is below iodine in Group VII of the
Periodic Table?
A)Astatine and aqueous potassium chloride react to form aqueous potassium astatide and
chlorine
B)Potassium astatide and hot dilute sulfuric acid react to form white fumes of only hydrogen
astatide.
C) Silver astatide reacts with dilute aqueous ammonia in excess to form a solution of a soluble
complex.
D)Sodium astatide and hot concentrated sulfuric acid react to form astatine.
InkRed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ans D

A) a halogen atom can only displace another halide ion from its salt if its above it in the group. At cant as its much below Cl. Reason is that oxidising ability of halogen atoms decreases down group

B) So2 is also produced. see reaction of KI with h2s04 which you have to learn

c)AgCl soluble. AgBr partially soluble if nh3 is conc. AgI insoluble. Following this trend down the group AgAt is insoluble

d) Correct. Again see reactions of iodide compounds with h2so4 in which I2 is also produced. Reducing ability of halide ions increases down the group. so At- is stronger RA and At will be produced
alyoan tariq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by InkRed)
Ans D

A) a halogen atom can only displace another halide ion from its salt if its above it in the group. At cant as its much below Cl. Reason is that oxidising ability of halogen atoms decreases down group

B) So2 is also produced. see reaction of KI with h2s04 which you have to learn

c)AgCl soluble. AgBr partially soluble if nh3 is conc. AgI insoluble. Following this trend down the group AgAt is insoluble

d) Correct. Again see reactions of iodide compounds with h2so4 in which I2 is also produced. Reducing ability of halide ions increases down the group. so At- is stronger RA and At will be produced
thank u so much !!!! ur explanation was great !!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
12.08%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.38%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (35)
23.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.77%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (47)
31.54%

Watched Threads