The Student Room Group

eek! help, i'm confused!

ohh i've got a big problem

I've just finished my first year at Nott trent and don't know what to do. The course is ok, its not a bad city, but i don't know if i really fit in. Most of my friends there turned out to be backstabbers and I spent a lot of the year unhappy :frown:

I've done well this year, I hadn't even been planning on going to uni in the first place due to really bad depression during A levels which meant I did really badly, so i was just so happy to be let in somewehere. I've explained that I wasn't really happy to my tutors, n they've given me a reference for a transfer to Reading. But I'd be starting there in second year and I don't know anyone or the place.

Nottingham is only a couple of hours away from home so i come home often to see my boyf n he comes to see me, which is an advantage, as Reading is so far away.

what should I do? Should I stick to what I know n ride out the next couple of years? Or should I take up the offer Readings given me?

Its really making me stressed n unhappy :frown:
It depends how unhappy you are at Nott. Trent. Personally, I'd say starting again at Reading would give you a fresh start, that might be better. And Reading's not THAT much further south than Nottingham. Is the course exactly the same? Do you have anything at Nott. Trent to stay for?
Reply 2
yeah the course is the same, history and sociology. I've got a house for next year which would need to be sorted too :frown:
Would it be possible for you to join some socs/clubs and meet new people at Nott Trent next year?
Reply 4
yeah, but there's nothing sporty i do n aside from that there's not many!

Thanks for replying people its nice to know people do care :smile:
Yeah I'd agree with the person above actually. Maybe stay at Nottingham Trent, better-the-devil-you-know-stylee, and just try and make it a fresh start. Will you be living with nice people? Make an effort to go out and meet some new people.
Reply 6
BombShell
yeah the course is the same, history and sociology. I've got a house for next year which would need to be sorted too :frown:

All I can say is that Reading is a great place, the uni is lovely and it's got a good reputation. If you dislike it at Nott trent and think you will be happier elsewhere then go for it. Otherwise you will be left thinking 'what if?'
Reply 7
yeah, they're really nice people i'm living with. Thing is, they're friends with all the people that i used to hang around with. This makes it really awkward, cause they ask me to go somewhere n I have to say no cause i know the others will be there n will start giving me abuse for no reason :frown:
Reply 8
don't worry, i didn't have many friends in my sixth form

what did you get in your a levels?
Reply 9
well i had loads of frinds in sixth form i was just really depressed :frown:

My ABC(A2s) and AA(AS's) turned into DD and BC ( i had to drop business studies cause i was just too ill to go to college). I've explained this to Reading and they think I'm fully capable, but I'm still unsure..
Reply 10
ohh, i'm so confused :frown:
Hi Bombshell, let me start by saying I truly do feel for you. University should be a great and rewarding experience, and by the sound of things this hasn't really happened for you, at least to the extent it should.

Now, a transfer may be good, but what if you find it difficult to fit in? As you already said, everyone would already have friends and stuff, so you may end up being more depressed about this. There will be new surroundings, you will be firther from your BF, and everything will feel new again.

If I were you, I would try and iron out any problems you are having currently, there is ALWAYS the opportunity to make new friends, you seem like a nice person, so just rise above the immature people you speak about.

Cheers
Reply 12
It must be a very difficult decision for you to make. I guess whatever you decide you have to think about what you will change. There are certain factors you can't control, like having so called friends which have made things difficult, however people have suggested things like joining societies and stuff, and that may help. I don't have all the answers, whatever decision you make good luck with it :smile: .
Reply 13
aww thanks guys, ur all so helpful on here :smile:

I'm still not sure what i'm gonna do but I do feel better now

x
Reply 14
just thought i'd bring this back up in case anyone else can help me! :smile:

x

Latest

Trending

Trending