Will Britain adopt the Euro if it stays in the EU?

Watch
JW22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Asuna Yuuki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope

(I highly doubt it, at least)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
No. I cant ever see it happening.
user 42005
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely not. There is a possibility of it occurring in the (very) long term, of course, but the complexity of the UK economy in terms of its housing market and financial services would make this process very difficult. So for the foreseeable future, no.
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Doubt it...not all EU countries use the Euro :yep:

Case and point is Bulgaria using the Lev :ahee:
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah the Germans will end up forcing us to have the euro
2016_GCSE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Queen would not be amused.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JW22)
Not until a European super state comes to pass, fiscal Union without political union is stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, however once the federation of Europe is created i envisage that states like the UK on the sidelines will be told to agree or leave with a EFTA type arrangement. It's at this point that i expect the UK to leave as i have no doubt that the UK will never vote to join the Euro.

This is also one of the reasons i want to Leave now. I think long term and really don't see the point in staying and holding the EU back when exit is in my mind somewhat inevitable.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
EuanF
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We'd probably get bullied into it. They'd know we wouldn't vote out because our country is full of cowards, and the Euro states have us outnumbered in QMV.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they'd force us to vote for it until we say yes, and then never give us another referendum to say no.
and you think I'm kidding
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, as we have an opt out along with the Swedes and the Danes.

Any talk of being forced or bullied into it is nonsense.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
No, however once the federation of Europe is created i envisage that states like the UK on the sidelines will be told to agree or leave with a EFTA type arrangement. It's at this point that i expect the UK to leave as i have no doubt that the UK will never vote to join the Euro.

This is also one of the reasons i want to Leave now. I think long term and really don't see the point in staying and holding the EU back when exit is in my mind somewhat inevitable.
We would get far better terms in that scenario. The arrangement would have to be made attractive to us, the Swedes and the Danes.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
We would get far better terms in that scenario. The arrangement would have to be made attractive to us, the Swedes and the Danes.
I don't think terms would differ substantially since the EU's preferred option would be us joining the Euro, not being in EFTA.
newpersonage
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
Nope

(I highly doubt it, at least)
Most of the respondents to this thread seem to be unaware of why this referendum is happening in the first place. The Eurozone has almost completed Stage 1 of Union and starts Stage 2 (political union) in 2017, scheduled to complete in 2025.

In 2025 the Eurozone will have almost 90% of the vote in the EU Council and Parliament. The UK will be reduced to doing whatever the Eurozone says. We will then have two choices: a second referendum or join the Eurozone. In 9 yrs time the Government will just say that we have only just had a referendum and so will assume that we want to merge with the Eurozone, to disappear forever as an independent country.
Asuna Yuuki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by newpersonage)
Most of the respondents to this thread seem to be unaware of why this referendum is happening in the first place. The Eurozone has almost completed Stage 1 of Union and starts Stage 2 (political union) in 2017, scheduled to complete in 2025.

In 2025 the Eurozone will have almost 90% of the vote in the EU Council and Parliament. The UK will be reduced to doing whatever the Eurozone says. We will then have two choices: a second referendum or join the Eurozone. In 9 yrs time the Government will just say that we have only just had a referendum and so will assume that we want to merge with the Eurozone, to disappear forever as an independent country.
Vive la USE!
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by newpersonage)

Whoah what, I don't recall even Brexit The Movie mentioning that that was going down and that couldn't have got much more anti-EU... googling there doesn't seem to be much on it (not saying you're making stuff up lol I just wonder why this isn't mentioned much..)
newpersonage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
Whoah what, I don't recall even Brexit The Movie mentioning that that was going down and that couldn't have got much more anti-EU... googling there doesn't seem to be much on it (not saying you're making stuff up lol I just wonder why this isn't mentioned much..)
If you look at the speeches of Tory Grandees who forced Cameron into this referendum it was consolidation of the Eurozone and consequent marginalising of UK that was of central importance (
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22429790 )

See
On steps towards Completing Economic and Monetary Union.

But no-one is in the dark about the EU becoming a political union even if the Eurozone does not achieve EMU Stage 2 by 2025 (It has achieved stage 1 on schedule).

Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor said:

"we need a political union first and foremost" (BBC News).

Francois Hollande, the French president said:

"Political union is the step that follows fiscal union, banking union, and social union. It will provide a democratic framework for successful integration." (Le Monde)

President Sergio Mattarella of Italy's inaugural speech Feb 2015:

"The EU is now once again a perspective of hope andtrue political union to be relaunched without delay."

Mariano Rajoy Brey, Spanish prime minister:

"We need to fix these objectives - fiscal union, banking union, political union...And we must set a time scale. We are giving a message that we really want greater European integration. We can't say something is this first, then something else, without saying where we're going," Rajoy said at a news conference with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti. (Reuters report).

What the European Commission says:

José Manuel Durão Barroso, President of the European Commission said:

"This is why the Economic and Monetary Union raises the question of a political union and the European democracy that must underpin it."...

.."A deep and genuine economic and monetary union, a political union, with a coherent foreign and defence policy, means ultimately that the present European Union must evolve." (State of the Union 2012 Address to the European Parliament on 12 September 2012).

The EU's Blueprint for a deep and genuine economic and monetary union (and political union) states that:

"This Blueprint for a Deep and Genuine EMU describes the necessary
elements and the steps towards a full banking, economic, fiscal and political union."

What the European Central Bank says:

1999 paper by the European Central Bank: Europe: Common Money - Political Union? In this paper it says that:

"The monetary order established by the Maastricht Treaty with the detailed statute of the European System of Central Banks by itself represents an important building block for the development of a European statehood."

The importance of the connection between monetary union and the establishment of a single state was well understood at the new European Central Bank in 1999:

"So what does the future hold? Anyone who believes in the role of a single currency as a pace-setter in achieving political unity (Europe will be created by means of a single currency or not at all (Jacques Rueff 1950)) will regard the decisive step as has having already been taken. This does not provide an answer as to how the "rest" of the journey should be approached. "
newpersonage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
Vive la USE!
It is truly refreshing to hear someone actually supporting the United States of Europe. Some people really want a corporate superstate and trust it to rule over them. Personally I don't trust corporates at all. I think that once people are finally prised away from their land it will be stripped bare and human beings will become like locusts flitting across the world to ravage any part that seems to be doing well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads