Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So long story short:
    I have received incorrect funding for this academic year. I had sent some forms for reassessment back in August last year. Nothing happened, and I was told incorrect information. Knowing of Student Finance's incompetence, I decided to wait until after the tax year 2015/2016 ends so we can send tax returns as proof of actual income (being dramatically lower than what was used for assessment). Not so easy.

I first decided to call in April. The woman had no idea what she was talking about and kept giving me different reasons like "Maybe because...". But she did agree that this was strange and said I should send a formal letter along with evidence of income.

I did this in early May, everything broken down beautifully. Priority and signed for delivery. All key areas in bold etc. so that even a baby could figure out what's up.

I had sent it to formal appeals initially, as I felt it was a formal appeal as the regular process has incorrectly set funding and from my experience is just incompetent of getting anything done. I had got an individual response within 5 working days, which was great. However this was forwarded by them as a normal request to the "relevant department" and I would be contacted by them soon. Of course I was not contacted soon.

So I then called just over two weeks ago, to ask what the status of my application is. I was informed after some confusion that they indeed have received my letter and I will be contacted soon regarding the outcome. I was also informed that my brother should also separately contact student finance... strange.

I decided to call to make a complaint today as I still have heard nothing regarding the reassessment. After being told all sorts of different possibilities and correcting them on each one. The conversation was concluded with the fact I should send in a PR2 form soon and should not have sent a formal letter as I was advised earlier. I was given a link to find the form, however this form is not there. I also told him to send me a form, but honestly... I don't think it will arrive.

So I have been told different things each time. To be fair, I don't actually think anything will be done going through normal procedures now, or even making a complaint. How can I escalate this issue so my situation is investigated into properly and individually? I am also willing to travel to their office in Darlington if needs be.

University is pretty much over for me. My worry is that in 2 weeks time, it would have been 9 months since the start of my course and then I will be informed that I can not be reassessed or something. I would not be surprised if that happened. This has also resulted in bursaries not being received from our respective universities. The shortfall in funding is very significant.

I know that's a lot to read. I would really appreciate any advice on what I should be doing now Who (and how) can I contact.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. I am facing the possibility of starting uni in September with no money at all because of their incompetence...
    E-mail them a formal complaint. I did and was contacted by someone yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Hi

So long story short:
    I have received incorrect funding for this academic year. I had sent some forms for reassessment back in August last year. Nothing happened, and I was told incorrect information. Knowing of Student Finance's incompetence, I decided to wait until after the tax year 2015/2016 ends so we can send tax returns as proof of actual income (being dramatically lower than what was used for assessment). Not so easy.

I first decided to call in April. The woman had no idea what she was talking about and kept giving me different reasons like "Maybe because...". But she did agree that this was strange and said I should send a formal letter along with evidence of income.

I did this in early May, everything broken down beautifully. Priority and signed for delivery. All key areas in bold etc. so that even a baby could figure out what's up.

I had sent it to formal appeals initially, as I felt it was a formal appeal as the regular process has incorrectly set funding and from my experience is just incompetent of getting anything done. I had got an individual response within 5 working days, which was great. However this was forwarded by them as a normal request to the "relevant department" and I would be contacted by them soon. Of course I was not contacted soon.

So I then called just over two weeks ago, to ask what the status of my application is. I was informed after some confusion that they indeed have received my letter and I will be contacted soon regarding the outcome. I was also informed that my brother should also separately contact student finance... strange.

I decided to call to make a complaint today as I still have heard nothing regarding the reassessment. After being told all sorts of different possibilities and correcting them on each one. The conversation was concluded with the fact I should send in a PR2 form soon and should not have sent a formal letter as I was advised earlier. I was given a link to find the form, however this form is not there. I also told him to send me a form, but honestly... I don't think it will arrive.

So I have been told different things each time. To be fair, I don't actually think anything will be done going through normal procedures now, or even making a complaint. How can I escalate this issue so my situation is investigated into properly and individually? I am also willing to travel to their office in Darlington if needs be.

University is pretty much over for me. My worry is that in 2 weeks time, it would have been 9 months since the start of my course and then I will be informed that I can not be reassessed or something. I would not be surprised if that happened. This has also resulted in bursaries not being received from our respective universities. The shortfall in funding is very significant.

I know that's a lot to read. I would really appreciate any advice on what I should be doing now Who (and how) can I contact.

Thanks in advance.
    Threaten legal action: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3099073
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Hi

So long story short:

Thanks in advance.
    PR2 form means your parents did a CYI (Current year income) and they would of been sent letters when the tax year ended in april to complete these or it would result in a grant overpayment on your account - If you sent them in when they were received there would of been no issues

There is no link to download a PR2 form, it can only be sent out to you. When your parents decided to do CYI, it should of been explained to you that a PR2 would be sent out and have to be completed at the end of the tax year

anyway the complaints team are really good and if you contact them you will receive a reply within 15 days and they will sort everything for you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.