Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, I'm 18 and my parents are very strict. I've never been out the house after 7pm and went to no parties, no prom, no girlfriends. Nothing. I'm feeling really depressed and as if I haven't lived my life because when I look at other 18 year olds or even 15-16 year olds hanging out with friends and stuff, going out. It hurts. I'm lost in life, I don't know what to do... I applied to unis all away from home and my dad somehow managed to talk with my teacher and change my choices for all unis in london. I cry everyday when I think about my friends who are always out and about and how even people that smoke or do drugs have a better relationship with their parents. I've literally have no life experience.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, I'm 18 and my parents are very strict. I've never been out the house after 7pm and went to no parties, no prom, no girlfriends. Nothing. I'm feeling really depressed and as if I haven't lived my life because when I look at other 18 year olds or even 15-16 year olds hanging out with friends and stuff, going out. It hurts. I'm lost in life, I don't know what to do... I applied to unis all away from home and my dad somehow managed to talk with my teacher and change my choices for all unis in london. I cry everyday when I think about my friends who are always out and about and how even people that smoke or do drugs have a better relationship with their parents. I've literally have no life experience.
    Hello

I'm extremely sorry to hear about this. It most certainly does sound as though you've lived a sheltered, if not controlled, life. It seems like your parents keep you on lock down and are controlling every aspect of your life - hence why you feel as though you have no life experience.

It's not like being 15-18 and going out all the time to parties, proms and having girlfriends is a must but... it's a natural so, I can see why you feel as though you've missed out and it's understandable that you're depressed over this. If it carries on much longer it sounds as though you are going to get worse.

I know it sounds scary but have you attempted to speak to your parents about how you feel? It sounds extreme but I think it's the best way - if not, appealing to the support at the school and talk to them about how your parents are treating you - especially with your dad and changing your university choices, that just is not allowed. That's ridiulous!

I really hope things get better for you. However, you aren't alone. It'll be okay.
    Stay strong and keep going.

ReputationRep:
    Changing university choices is not acceptable. I would talk to your dad and your teacher. Your dad may see your side or may not, but if you don't try you'll never know.

Also, your school should not have allowed your results to be changed. Talk to a teacher, and if that doesn't work it might be worth changing your choices back yourself.

Do you have any staff members at your school you could talk to about this, too?

Hi, im in your position exept im a girl and i cant go out at all. it gets to the point where you want to scream so loud but u cant. anyhoo im moving out no matter what happens. at the end of the day tell your dad you'll get too tired commuting and your moving out. end of.

(Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello

I'm extremely sorry to hear about this. It most certainly does sound as though you've lived a sheltered, if not controlled, life. It seems like your parents keep you on lock down and are controlling every aspect of your life - hence why you feel as though you have no life experience.

It's not like being 15-18 and going out all the time to parties, proms and having girlfriends is a must but... it's a natural so, I can see why you feel as though you've missed out and it's understandable that you're depressed over this. If it carries on much longer it sounds as though you are going to get worse.

I know it sounds scary but have you attempted to speak to your parents about how you feel? It sounds extreme but I think it's the best way - if not, appealing to the support at the school and talk to them about how your parents are treating you - especially with your dad and changing your university choices, that just is not allowed. That's ridiulous!

I really hope things get better for you. However, you aren't alone. It'll be okay.
    Stay strong and keep going.
    Whenever I try talking to him, about depression and my life in general, He laughs in my face. Tells me I'm chatting crap and I'm not depressed because apparently there's nothing wrong in my life to depress me. I've cried several times, broken my hand punching walls etc. in front of him but he doesn't understand. I'm slowly losing friends because I cant socialize with them..

ReputationRep:
    when you go to uni try to get a place on campus and live away from home. I know it sounds strange but make sure the student finance goes through you so you have the option to move out until then you might have to just sit tight and endure it. When you get to uni make sure you don't go a little made with the sudden freedom though. I agree with some of the other posts though, go and talk to school about it and get their help in it. they are likely to have had more experience with this and will be able to help. Good Luck x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I try talking to him, about depression and my life in general, He laughs in my face. Tells me I'm chatting crap and I'm not depressed because apparently there's nothing wrong in my life to depress me. I've cried several times, broken my hand punching walls etc. in front of him but he doesn't understand. I'm slowly losing friends because I cant socialize with them..
    Hm, try and approach help through your college etc. If your dad doesn't understand, it doesn't mean others won't either. Doctors can provide help for you and help for your dad in the process of helping you. Don't listen to him - him and no one can tell you how you're feeling. Don't let this break you. You are strong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.