The Student Room Group

JP Morgan will cut jobs if we leave the EU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36443104

All the major corporations have made it clear- Brexit will mean fewer jobs for British people. Jamie Dimon is one of the biggest names on Wall Street and he's argued strongly for the EU- going as far to say that he has no choice but to reduce their UK headcount.

We will have a weaker financial services industry without the EU- pretty much all the major banks and professional services firms are saying this- yet somehow the Leave campaigners think that they know better than those leading these industries. We need to stay to keep jobs in the City and in other fields of work. There's no need to take this risk.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No surprise a student forum is largely pro-EU people

Given EU is very much a Marxist regime who destroys the national hegemony of nations

Not all pro-EU are Marxists though..

I bet you wont be happy when millions of Ukrainian skinheads thanks to EU visa free travel to come to Britain!

eufascismlol.jpg

Enjoy your cultural enrichment.
Original post by JewishLiesExpo

Given EU is very much a Marxist regime who destroys the national hegemony of nations

I bet you wont be happy when millions of Ukrainian skinheads thanks to EU visa free travel to come to Britain!

eufascismlol.jpg

This place is hardly full of pro-EU people, the Brexiters make their opinions heard much more than those who want to remain.

And I find it funny that everyone is scared about marxist/communist regimes like they're the enemy, communism is a half decent idea, its just in practice it doesn't work as history has shown us.

Lastly, that cute little photo you sent us seems to have more white people in it than ethnics, all I see is one bearded ethnic and about 10 white males
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

All the major corporations have made it clear- Brexit will mean fewer jobs for British people. Jamie Dimon is one of the biggest names on Wall Street and he's argued strongly for the EU- going as far to say that he has no choice but to reduce their UK headcount.

We will have a weaker financial services industry without the EU- pretty much all the major banks and professional services firms are saying this- yet somehow the Leave campaigners think that they know better than those leading these industries. We need to stay to keep jobs in the City and in other fields of work. There's no need to take this risk.

I work for a large global financial firm and privately they're saying the same thing, that brexit = job cuts.
Frankfurt must be licking their lips at the prospect of a Brexit

Though I have to say not being part of the Euro wasn't detrimental to the City contrary to predictions, but maybe this is different...
Reply 5
Original post by sainsburys wraps
This place is hardly full of pro-EU people, the Brexiters make their opinions heard much more than those who want to remain.

And I find it funny that everyone is scared about marxist/communist regimes like they're the enemy, communism is a half decent idea, its just in practice it doesn't work as history has shown us.

Lastly, that cute little photo you sent us seems to have more white people in it than ethnics, all I see is one bearded ethnic and about 10 white males

The fact it sounds good on paper is the scary part. It means moronic millennials who haven't even opened a history book think they're trend setting by coming up with this fantastic idea. With little knowledge of its practical implications.
Original post by Jebedee
The fact it sounds good on paper is the scary part. It means moronic millennials who haven't even opened a history book think they're trend setting by coming up with this fantastic idea. With little knowledge of its practical implications.

It's more worrying that everyone dismisses anything moderately reminiscent of communism/marxism based solely on the historical failures. Its gone to the point where people cry 'marxist' like its some kind of insult
Original post by sr90
I work for a large global financial firm and privately they're saying the same thing, that brexit = job cuts.

Oooooo, which firm? What did you do you degree in? Is it fun/fulfilling?
Original post by JewishLiesExpo

eufascismlol.jpg

I like that lot in the photo
:biggrin:
Britain must leave the eu, and we must not be threatened by multi national companies
Original post by Blue_Mason
Britain must leave the eu, and we must not be threatened by multi national companies

Well, that's persuaded me.
I wouldn't use JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs as a Remain campaigning tool. It will have the opposite effect, mainly because most people hate bankers and especially these two banks. Don't get me wrong, im a remainer but JP Morgan cutting jobs? Yea, most people won't see that as a bad thing.
Original post by Proximo
I wouldn't use JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs as a Remain campaigning tool. It will have the opposite effect, mainly because most people hate bankers and especially these two banks. Don't get me wrong, im a remainer but JP Morgan cutting jobs? Yea, most people won't see that as a bad thing.

It's the idea that people would be losing out on jobs that would be the biggest point of bringing this issue up, and people may not want to have uncertainty as to whether their job exists after they vote to leave.
Original post by Proximo

Exactly, it just makes me want to Vote Leave just to **** over the people who got cushy jobs.
Original post by Craig1998
It's the idea that people would be losing out on jobs that would be the biggest point of bringing this issue up, and people may not want to have uncertainty as to whether their job exists after they vote to leave.

True, you don't want to crush the dreams of all the kids who want to grow up and become investment bankers
Original post by Proximo
True, you don't want to crush the dreams of all the kids who want to grow up and become investment bankers

It's ok... they will just dream of becoming politicians instead. :lol:
Original post by James.Carnell
It's ok... they will just dream of becoming politicians instead. :lol:

Or, God forbid...

Spoiler

One small thing that irks me when people like Boris Johnson says there won't be any job losses is that it isn't really their decision. Unless they decide to transfer all the newly unemployed to the public sector or actively prevent businesses from letting go of too many people, firms will cut jobs whether they like it or not.
Original post by Trapz99

JP Morgan won't move jobs to the continent. I don't like the way that the leave campaign says that any claims contrary to their position are merely fear mongering, but in this specific case it's accurate. It's fairly obvious that one of the reasons that Britain wants to leave the EU is to loosen legislative interference in the economy, and given that Britain's services sector is its major economic force, it seems obvious that financial controls will be relaxed. All of which is pretty handy for JP Morgan.

On the other hand, with Britain out of the EU the main opponent to closer fiscal and political union in the EU will be out of the equation. And in the interest of keeping the euro afloat in the aftermath of a hypothetical Brexit, it seems likely that the EU would need to centralise at least some financial powers. All of which is very very unfriendly for a business like JP Morgan.

JP Morgan indeed prefers the idea of Britain in the EU compared to Britain outside; the common market is an attractive proposition for any international businesses obviously. But Britain outside the EU is still far more attractive to any large-scale, international, service sector business than any country inside the EU.
Original post by Trapz99

There you have it plebs. Those bankers who profit insanely from you are telling you what to do. They have no dog in this fight (Honest) and they really really care about your wages or job opportunities or whether you have to wait 2 days or 3 weeks for to see your GP

Quick Reply