Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should new members not be allowed to post on chat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It would be most ideal if these new members were not prohibited to post such silly threads on the chat section, unless they have proven have made a positive and genuine contribution to tsr

ReputationRep:
    Then TSR will close down very very soon

ReputationRep:
    What classes as new?

Number of gems? - but this is hardly accurate

Date joined? - they may just have been inactive for a long time

Amount of followers? - high numbers could be due to polite people following back automatically

ReputationRep:
    But how would we stop you posting silly threads in chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    It would be most ideal if these new members were not prohibited to post such silly threads on the chat section, unless they have proven have made a positive and genuine contribution to tsr
    Haven't even seen you do that yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    What classes as new?

Number of gems? - but this is hardly accurate

Date joined? - they may just have been inactive for a long time

Amount of followers? - high numbers could be due to polite people following back automatically
    Date joined

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    But how would we stop you posting silly threads in chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My threads are not silly, and my rep count is healthy, and this tpic is not about me as I am not a new member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Haven't even seen you do that yet.
    I have made multiple contributions to a number of threads
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I have made multiple contributions to a number of threads
    Well I haven't seen it yet, thing is it isn't mostly the new users that make "silly threads" it is some active users who have been on here for years/many months and if you don't like it, just leave the forum then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm offended

ReputationRep:

It's polite to follow back?

Guess I've been impolite to a few people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Well I haven't seen it yet, thing is it isn't mostly the new users that make "silly threads" it is some active users who have been on here for years/many months and if you don't like it, just leave the forum then.
    Indeed you have not, I shall not leave as I have every right to post on the chat section, as my contribution is celebrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanker)
    It's polite to follow back?

Guess I've been impolite to a few people...
    Its just what I do, I think a fair few do but its whatever let me test you by following you....

ReputationRep:
    Indeed you have not, I shall not leave as I have every right to post on the chat section, as my contribution is celebrated
    Celebrated by who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Celebrated by who?
    Other members of tsr

ReputationRep:
    Its just what I do, I think a fair few do but its whatever let me test you by following you....
    Test failed, or passed considering what you wanted the outcome to be?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Then don't complain then, if you don't like it then you can leave because whether you like it or not, people will still post things in Chat that is not to your liking regardless of what you say and there is a reason it is called "Chat."

Do you mean prohibited? Your statement makes no sense this way.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    We should welcome new members. stopping them post anywhere wouldn't be a nice thing to do. Chat is chat anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, as Rhythmical pointed out you meant to say "prohibited," not "not prohibited." Also, I don't think you understand the concept of objectivity vs subjectivity.

1) Ideal for who?
    2) Silly in who's opinion?
    3) Who would determine what counted as "proof?"
    4) Positive and genuine according to who?

There's no way of objectively answering these questions as everyone will have a different opinion on the matter. Since there's no objective way of answering them these questions don't actually have definite answers, so basing any policies off of them is a fallacious way of doing things. Then there's the fact that not all new members are idiots so it's illogical to punish the whole lot of them, especially when the crime hasn't actually been done yet. It's like a police officer arresting someone because at some point in the future they might rob someone.

Yea erm... threads such as these tend not to be celebrated. It's based on an idea which is totally unrealistic and pretty stupid really, in my humble opinion. Of course, you didn't think it was stupid since you're the one who posted it. It demonstrates my point brilliantly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.