Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How hard really is it to get into Cambridge? 4A*s, 5As at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haver00)
    There is no harm in trying, if that's what you're worried about. I had only one more A* than you at GCSE and it was a half GCSE in PE (I don't think they cared that much about it!). I have an offer to study History at Clare.

Give it a go, you'll hear all sorts of stories about you need a minimum of X A*s to apply but alot of it is rubbish. It obviously puts you in a more competitive position but remembr they are looking at you holistically and there's much more that contributes to your application!

ReputationRep:
    i dont thinl thats good enough, you needmore a*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    Stop spreading misinformation. GCSE's are used as part of a holistic process, and there are much more important things than your GCSEs such as the interview, any test sat at/before interview predictions AS grades etc etc. On top of that things such as where you live, the quality of your school etc etc are all used as well (5 A* at a school where the average grade is like a d is going to be looked at differently to one where the average is 10 a* ) so saying that x amount of a* isn't enough doesn't make a lot of sense. OP don't worry about it, you have 5 choices on ucas so if you decide that you would like to go to cambridge there isn't really any harm in giving it a go, let the admissions tutors worry about whether to give you an offer or not
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    That's a common profile for a successful applicant.

But, as above, GCSEs are not actually that important for most courses at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToyinBella16)
    There is no harm in trying, if that's what you're worried about. I had only one more A* than you at GCSE and it was a half GCSE in PE (I don't think they cared that much about it!). I have an offer to study History at Clare.

Give it a go, you'll hear all sorts of stories about you need a minimum of X A*s to apply but alot of it is rubbish. It obviously puts you in a more competitive position but remembr they are looking at you holistically and there's much more that contributes to your application!
    History at Clare! Me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amymcm11)
    History at Clare! Me too
    Brilliant! It's hard to hear about people that have a History offer. It's always other subjects
    How are you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToyinBella16)
    Brilliant! It's hard to hear about people that have a History offer. It's always other subjects
    How are you feeling about it?
    Yeah I can never find any historians! I'm really excited but I just hope I meet the offer :/ what about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.