Turn on thread page Beta

I just don't get it....... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    there were kids in the paper last year that were getting a's in maths, physics etc a levels and doing work at 17,18 year old standards?

what is that all about?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaUUU)
    there were kids in the paper last year that were getting a's in maths, physics etc a levels and doing work at 17,18 year old standards?

what is that all about?!
    neither do i
    i know someone who is in uni when she was 17 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    neither do i
    seriousssss? lol

ReputationRep:
    it's all down to the parents, threatening their kids with crucifiction and such like if they dont become uber geniuses

ReputationRep:

what is that all about?!
    Kids? What kind of ages?

One of the things about doing an A-level young is that (generally) they've been taught by parents from a young age, they only have 1 A-level to do, and it's not like they're doing much else with their time...

ReputationRep:
    seriousssss? lol
    my sister got offered her place at edinburgh uni when she was 16 - but that wasnt becasue she was a genius but just cos of the way she did her exams...
    EDIT that diditn make sense, she swapped from doing the english school system to the scottish system where she was the youngest in her year and then did just one year of highers and got good enough grades to becoem a teacher...she took a gap year tho and went when she was 17

ReputationRep:
    seriousssss? lol
    i am
    she is chinese and her parents are maga strict!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    it's all down to the parents, threatening their kids with crucifiction and such like if they dont become uber geniuses
    rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Kids? What kind of ages?

One of the things about doing an A-level young is that (generally) they've been taught by parents from a young age, they only have 1 A-level to do, and it's not like they're doing much else with their time...

yep thats it

ReputationRep:
    my sister got offered her place at edinburgh uni when she was 16 - but that wasnt becasue she was a genius but just cos of the way she did her exams...
    the way she did her exams? lol

kids aged 11

ReputationRep:

kids aged 11
    yeh ive edited it now...

ReputationRep:
    EDIT that diditn make sense, she swapped from doing the english school system to the scottish system where she was the youngest in her year and then did just one year of highers and got good enough grades to becoem a teacher...she took a gap year tho and went when she was 17
    so why didn't she take it?

ReputationRep:

kids aged 11

adam?? is that you? how come you changed your username??

anyway, more relevant to the thread, i know a girl that got accepted by cambridge uni when she was SIXTEEN!!! she wanted to do medicine, took chem bio physics, maths for A2 and got a's, striaght a*'s in gcse's and now she's at uni. mad or what!!?
    anyway adam...answer the ques!

neha
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    adam?? is that you? how come you changed your username??

anyway, more relevant to the thread, i know a girl that got accepted by cambridge uni when she was SIXTEEN!!! she wanted to do medicine, took chem bio physics, maths, got a's, striaght a*'s in gcse's and noe she's at uni. mad or what!!?
    anyway adam...answer the ques!

neha
    xxxx
    who is adam?

ReputationRep:

what is that all about?!
    A lot of the subjects they take require mainly being taught (Maths and the sciences etc), rather than style of writing which is hard to teach but comes with age (notice you tend not to get young people taking English and History etc early). Of course, it takes a certain natural intelligence, but if they receive the suitable teaching then it's not really all that amazing. A lot of people do Maths GCSE and even AS/A2 a year early, it's just that these people are taught to a higher standard at an early age. Personally, I feel a bit sorry for them. I realise some of them might enjoy the work, but you do sort of feel like they've missed out on their childhood by having to do all that work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirki)
    A lot of the subjects they take require mainly being taught (Maths and the sciences etc), rather than style of writing which is hard to teach but comes with age (notice you tend not to get young people taking English and History etc early). Of course, it takes a certain natural intelligence, but if they receive the suitable teaching then it's not really all that amazing. A lot of people do Maths GCSE and even AS/A2 a year early, it's just that these people are taught to a higher standard at an early age. Personally, I feel a bit sorry for them. I realise some of them might enjoy the work, but you do sort of feel like they've missed out on their childhood by having to do all that work.
    that is actually a very VERY good point, and guess what, he registered in jan!

i guess subjects like history arnt micky mouse subjects after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    neither do i
    Thats just moved up one year. Loads of people are moved up a year nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    so why didn't she take it?
    cos she figured she would be too young compared to everyone else and plus as it was a primary school teaching course where they do teaching practice she could have been teaching 11/12 year olds when she was just 16

ReputationRep:
    cos she figured she would be too young compared to everyone else and plus as it was a primary school teaching course where they do teaching practice she could have been teaching 11/12 year olds when she was just 16
    wow thats pretty cool,

i think it would be impossible for an elevan year old to get an A in something like history

ReputationRep:
    who is adam?
    he's kiesha's lover

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.